has anybody tried paxil?

just wondering the doctor put me on this after a tah . what are the effects? anything good or bad about this ?

robin22134

Asked by robin22134 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Health

• my mom has been taking paxil for 15 years now! she is bi-polar ... i thank god for paxil cause if she wasnt on it im not sure if i would still be alive today! lol... seriously, it really worked for her!
    KimberlyAnn85

Answer by KimberlyAnn85 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Be careful of the weight gain. A friend of mine took Paxil and gained a huge amount of weight...in the medical world they refer to it as pack 'em on Paxil. Not everyone gains weight, but if you do notice an unexplained weight gain I would talk to your doctor about switching to another med. Other than the weight gain, Paxil really helped my friend through her anxiety attacks.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Years ago.. I did gain weight and I remember if I didn't take it on time, the levels would drop from my blood and I would have electric sparks going through my head and feel vertigo. This was back when it first came out and the doctor who prescribed it said there were no WD effects..Then studies came out later contradicting that. Just don't forget a dose!! But it did help for a while until I needed a different SSRI.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• There is a great site I use for any medication I am prescribed before I take it. It is AskAPatient.com and you type in the medication and you get many people who take or have taken it and what they experienced. Has been very helpful for me.
    tramar47

Answer by tramar47 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I did take Paxil for two years for depression. It did help ease the depression, but I did have sexual side effects- though I could still get aroused I could not have an orgasm under any circumstance (with my dh, on my own, with a toy, etc.) Sexual side effects are supposed to be more common in men but can occur for women too. I also agree with one of the other posters who pointed out withdrawal effects... although I don't remember it as much on Paxil, I'm not on Zoloft for PPD and I do have vertigo/dizziness if I miss or am late on a dose. HTH a bit!
    Anonymous

• I was on Paxil, I am not a fan of it at all. It didn't help me very much & (now don't all jump down my throat) I had to stop taking it without getting weaned off of it (not by choice). I had horrible withdrawl symptoms like I can only imagine one would experience coming off of street drugs. I have been on other drugs that I found immensely helpful (I am Bipolar) but, I wouldn't recommend Paxil. There are a lot of other time-honored meds that I think are better. But, everyone responds differently & a skilled Psychiatrist will be able to navigate you towards what is most appropriate for you.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, it made me crazier. Try to be aware of any new mood or mental changes.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I take paxil and have for years now--I did not gain weight, my mood is always good, I don't fly off in 20 directions, and I don't cry like I used to . The only way you are going to about it is to try it! keep tract of your moods and any changes you may have. If you feel like you need something to help you, this is the med. to try. It takes a couple of weeks to fully kick in, but it does work.
    joanne580

Answer by joanne580 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I've been on Paxil before but I switched to psychotherapy and an exercise program. I've experienced its common side effects such as insomnia, dry mouth, sweating, dizziness, nausea and fatigue. Paxil was also issued a black box warning by the FDA for birth defects, suicidal behavior among adolescent users and cardiovascular complications. These side effects have been the issue in most lawsuits against Paxil. However, studies say that for serious mental disorders, Paxil have been found effective.

Josephine143

Answer by Josephine143 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2012