Do you really know what one has to do to become a legal US citizen or at least get a green card?

I am surprised at all the misinformation that people have on this subject! I came acrossed a Q&A the other day where someone actually believed that as soon as you had a baby in America that YOU became a citizen along with your child!! Then there is the common misbelief that as soon as you marry a citizen that you are given citizenship. I know I believed that one for a long time. Most people don't even understand that you must have and keep up-to-date your Visa and permanent residency for ten years before you can become a citizen.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• you have to go through two interviews with immigration. they're not just interviews either. you have to basically bring your life in a box. pictures, testamonials, rental contracts (if you resnt an apt) they grill you and and questions over and over again to try to trip you up. (i'm saying all of this as though you are married to a citizen.)

it's a long process. then after you have your green card you have to reapply for it after a certain amount of time. 10 years is the one i know of. you have to go through more interviews and if immigration doesn't feel you are being a good citizen you can be deported.

also, i think that all americans should have to take the same citizenship test that immigrants have to take just to see how much they know.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• BOO HOO. How about paying for all of the medical care they get in emergency rooms? Even making an honest attempt to paying those bills. Had they all done the responsible thing they would have paid their bills and many hospitals wouldn't have had to close because of being so far in debt. And somehow I am supposed to care about how hard it is to keep a visa up to date? And permanent residency? wow, how hard for all of those illegal aliens. To have to commit to living somewhere for 10 whole years. Most US citizens wish they only had it so hard.

Anonymous

• Whoa Anon :42... Who the F brought up illegals? You really must want to get your panties up in a bunch over something, huh?
    Anonymous

• good answer back anon:50 that what she get for been stupit ignorance
    Anonymous

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

• It's difficult FOR A REASON. I'm sorry anon :50 this DOES pertain to illegals. The OP was bringing up if people were educated on this subject. Well, if you are here illegally and wind up or plan to get pregnant it MIGHT be a good idea to find out the LAW. Just like buying a house. If you educate YOURSELF then you don't get bit by predatory lenders. AAAAND we circle right back around to personal responsibility. I think it's AWFUL for a child when a parent is deported but they are grown and should have understood the consequences pf their actions.  Like the the earlier Q about the singer not paying taxes till gays could  wed......OK, but you will go to jail.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes, I am aware. My best friend married a Frenchman that she met online. I helped her run around and get the paper work put together for immigration. I don't think it's at all unneccessary. Price tags a bit on the steep side.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I know when my FIL and his family came from Italy, they had to have a job, residence, learn English, and be upstanding. Had to know the Constitution, Pledge of Allegiance and all kinds of other stuff. I am sure it has changed alot since then but we have these laws for a reason.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes and I've never been ignorant about it either.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 11:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Hey Mom o holier than thouest, the OP in not a single word mentioned illegals, she worded this re: gaining citizenship or legal access. Example: I see a foreigner at my Macys often, first I think OK she speaks English with a non British accent so she learned english and has a job. The job may be her way of retaining her VISA obviously. She doesn't act happy to be there, so I also presume she's not met an American to marry her. I do recall the days when I also thought I heard you can be married or have a baby and be instantly a citizen. Either it was true long ago or rumors through our pop culture comedic world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2009