Do you think where you live has an effect on your view of the world?

Are you from a Rural Area? City? County? Suburb?
East Coast, Mid West, West Coast, Southern State?

I have noticed that what people find "important" in today's world differ, but what I've also noticed is where these people are from. Do you think because they live in "small towns" they have a nieve view of the rest of the world or because they are from "urban neighboorhoods" they have no values?

LadyChamp

Asked by LadyChamp at 8:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand what you are getting at Ladychamp. I grew up in a military family and got the opportunity to live in various places in the country, the midwest, the south, the east coast, the west coast...and yes, you're right. it does affect one's view of the world. I don't like generalizations, but you're worldview will be affected by the cultures and beliefs you are exposed to, how could it not? In urban areas, there tends to be more variety in cultures and lifestyles and people generally accept what they are used to, what they have the opportunity to see firsthand. When I lived in more rural areas, I was exposed to a lot more bigotry and prejudice, and generally a lack of understanding about other cultures, but that was just my experience. The reasons for that could be numerous, but I really believe that part of it is lack of exposure.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 3:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I've lived all over..from central america to new york to california. I don't know if places I've lived so much as WHAT I've lived have shaped my beliefs today.

I don't think I would call small town people naive but I just things are more simple for them and actually i would probably like it!

i think urban neighborhoods open your eyes to the whole world and you can see things from a lot of different perspectives.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Oh hell yeah. I am born and raised in Southern California and ended up becoming a very liberal Democrat just like everyone around me. We choose to live in the smallish beach town we are in even though it is really expensive because we like being surrounded by like minded people. I get enough of the other extreme coming on here every day to know that I wouldn't want to live next door to them.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 8:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• We are all shaped by our experiences. I think where we are and where we've been is very important in shaping our world view.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I live in a small city in the northwest; Population about 35,000 so it's not Mayberry, but not a big city. However having grown up in the middle of Los Angeles, I don't think anybody could ever consider me niave! I find people in the smaller towns and cities often have a better grasp on what is actually going on in the world than people who are so dazzled and distracted by daily life that they have no time to sort out how THEY really feel about the issues.
    Anonymous

• Well let's see... I live in a rural area now... but grew up on the East side of Detroit and let me tell you... I don't think your question is fair... infact plain out RUDE... are you just assuming that YOU know what others are like!?

I was born and raised in a lg city setting and now live and am raising a gs in a small rural town setting and just bc of that I DO NOT see the world any differently that what it comes across to me as...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think it's a convenient way to stereotype people with no idea what they're actually like. I grew up on a town 1/5 the size of the one I live in now. I meet exponentially more narrow minded and bigoted people here than I ever did where I grew up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• How many women do you think will answer this with the same response a study group would find. All answers will be biased as to what they have experienced saying it works for them or that where they live is how it should be. Until you experience it all, you cannot come to a conclusion of naivity vs no morals. Nobody would say the way and place that they are living are wrong or the way it shouldn't be. Women on here like to say repeatedly what they are doing is right and the way it should be all over regardless of where they live. Why would anyone say their belief systems are wrong just because of where they live, they wouldn't know any better would they?
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• I grew up in NJ outside of Atlantic City. I now live in a small area. population 75. My life's journey has been a bigger part of my views then where I have, do, or will live. I would still see the same news everyday just in a different setting. The world and our country would still be going through the same crap no matter where I live. It is just the difference in area that makes us differnt in thoughts. For example. I can go out in my yard, have a big bonfire, have a keg party, have loud music and nobody cares. People in towns and cities have lots of rules about noise and are not allowed bonfires and drinking would be the first thing the nosy neighbor would call about.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2009