Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


my husband just got laid off from his job and i am in the process of going back to school we have 2 kids and can no longer afford our rent. i have heard alot about section 8 how do i apply for that? does that apply to rental houses as well or just certain apartments? please please help our family NEEDS this asap..liek within a week if i even can get it that soon thank you please no bashing

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (4)
  • In my town there is a three year waiting list for section 8 and they are no longer taking applications.

    Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • In my state theres a 2 year waiting list. Go to the welfare office in your town and see what they can help you with, also i would let your land lord know what's going on. My boyfriend got laid off in dec and we called are landlord up and told him we would be a little late on rent and he understood with everything going on in our country right now. I wish you luck!!!!

    Answer by raemommy at 9:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • You can only apply when the county opens the application process, then it is a lottery type thing to get housing. You have to go to an orientation where the tell you all of the rules to being on housing. Talk to your landlord about what is happening and see if they will help you out. If you talk to people before you get behind they tend to be ok with it. You may be able to get emergency assistance, call the housing office or welfare office and they should be able to help you out.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

  • HUD helps with that but your landlord will have to agree heres the site

    Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.