how can i teach colors and shapes in a fun way??

my daughter is 3yrs. old she goes to day care but spends most of her time with me at home what are some ways that i can reinforce what she learns at daycare at home and make it so shes entertained??????

prdmommy83

Asked by prdmommy83 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just pointing out things is usually good enough...make sure you use descriptive words in your speech. So like "Do you want the RED or BLUE shirt today ? etc..

One idea you could do a shape or color hunt. So you could cut out a bunch of shapes for example and then walk around the house trying to find things that match the shape. When you find one, tape the matching shape to it. Same with colors.

Not sure if Walmart sales these anymore, but teacher stores do..Anyway you could get some of those sorting bears too. They come in the main colors and you group them by color and also you can do simple patterns with them.

Flash cards with shapes that you can turn into a memory game...

Things like that...Hope that helps.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• check out Timberdoodle.com :-)
    Anonymous

• Flip Over Math â„¢ Tub of Manipulatives, at Christianbooks.com
    Anonymous

• also at Christianbooks.com and other places are Pattern Blocks---these are great:-) I love my set and have kept them even though my kids are all grown:-)

Anonymous

• They also carry Attribute Blocks---I also have a set and used them a lot:-)

Anonymous

• Play, play, play....label, label, label.

It's not a shirt, it's a green shirt. It's not a pair of jeans, they're blue jeans. The block isn't a block, it's a square, triangle, rectangle, circle, etc block (and later work on cube, sphere, pyramid, etc)

Cut shapes out of different colors of construction paper and let her glue them onto another sheet. "You have the yellow circle! Now let's glue the purple rectangle." (and so on)

Doodle pad...my 2 year old loves to draw shapes on his (well, watch us draw shapes while he calls them out. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My daughter learned her colors by using the Sesame Street bath color tablets that change the water colors but not their skin or the tub (at least in our experience!). They come in red, blue and yellow and then you can mix those colors to make purple, orange and green. So she's also learned about mixing colors and actually knows that yellow and blue make green (that's her favorite). We have a black car so that was the first color she's learned, she wears mostly pink and purple so she knows those too. She learned brown in daycare and not sure how. We're currently working on white and gray. We just constantly ask her what color things are. Hope that heps! I don't have much help on the shapes. She only knows circle, triangle and square. She has a magnadoodle that has those 3 shapes and part ofthe drawing board and that's how she learned those 3.
    RebekahsMommy06

Answer by RebekahsMommy06 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• All of the above - another interactive way of learning is to take sidewalk chalk of different colors, draw different shapes on the ground, and have her jump, hop, whatever onto each color/shape you call out. This adds a nice physical activity, which helps memory retention. I remember in kindergarten learning shapes/colors by having huge plastic shapes of different colors to crawl through - you could always make some with cardboard. Again, add a physical activity to help memory retention!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I used the chalk idea. We would have color days where we had to wear all one color. Our food and drink would have to be that color as well. I would cut her food into different shapes. We would make up sill songs about colors and shapes. I bought color and shape books to read. It was so much fun!
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 1:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2009