• In the Spotlight:

How can I make my daughters diaper rash go away?

My daughter is 11months old. Will turn one soon and she is constanly getting diaper rashes. I have tried pretty much everything on the market, yet she continues to get them.

What methods have you used?? And could it be bacteria infection??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try using a diaper rash prevention to start with. Something like A&D ointment (anything petroleum based) and if a rash pops up try using one that is Zinc based like A&D cream. Have you tried changing diaper brands, letting her air dry, and changing her more often even when it doesn't seem like the diaper is to wet. These are suggestions.

My LO has a problem with yeast type rashes and we use over the counter monistat cream mixed with a zinc based cream at ever diaper change to treat that or you can use lotrimin. This came from her pedi, b/c we can't afford to go in all the time to get a script for nystatin.

Try a few of the above suggestions and see if something helps.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Try putting some plain unflavered yogurt on her butt. The "good bacteria" in the yogurt will help the rash.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• have you tryed destin that helped my daughter alot try that if you have not yet and i would ask your doctor about that one im not sure my daughter has never had one thank god
    Anonymous

• Let her little toosh air out a little between diaper changes. How often are you changing her diapers. Is she going to daycare? Because you may not know how often they are changing her. I used to put a little vaseline on my two year olds bottom even when he didn't have a diaper rash especially if he was going to daycare, just for prevention.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It could be a fungal diaper rash that will not clear up with OTC creams or powders. Call your doctor, he may be able to call something in for you to the pharmacy. My 9 month old had one for a couple days that would not clear up. The Dr. ordered Nystatin cream and it went away in one day!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm a stay at home mom, so the only daycare she goes to is church or the YMCA and those are for only an hour when I do go.

I have gone through 2 tubes of Desiten(sp?), used anti-fungal cream, which I think must burn b/c, she screams bloody murder when I use that. Monistat, every brand of butt cream! LOL
    Anonymous

• And I tried to do a cloth diaper, but I really don't know how to put it on, b/c, she leaked through it! haha..

I asked her Pediatrician about the constant diaper rashes and he only recommended what I am already using, and when I told him its not clearing up it wasn't a big deal to him. So I'm running out of options.

I was using Walmart brand diapers and thought that might be the problem and switched to Pampers, but it doesn't matter she still gets them. She has a chunky little booty so it gets sweaty, and I change her often.
    Anonymous

• oatmeal. Put her in a warm bath with a ton of regular old oatmeal or aveeno oatmeal bath. My dd got a severe bum rash that was bleeding the day before she cut her first tooth and i did that for like 3 days along with air and a&d ointment mixed with powder and i CAKED it on and she was fine
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Don't use wipies just rinse with water for a while and put aquaphor on it. Also a little baking soda in her bath will help too. This worked like a charm for us! Also no bubble bath or anything with a fragrance.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• DD always gets bad rashes about once a month because of acidy BMs. We put aveeno diaper rash cream on and it works most of the time. When she was younger she actually got yeast diaper rash, and had to get a cream from the doctors. If nothing is clearing it up, I would ask the doctor for sure. Its so miserable for everyone!
    Beanna4406

Answer by Beanna4406 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009