Advice

So i've finally got the motivation to start working out and i've been run/walking 30 min a day. I've gotten to the point where i actually WANT to workout and am excited about it. Well it turns out 4 days into my workout i got shin splints and i just ran through the pain on the 5th day. They say that you should stop running or it will get worse, but i don't want to stop because i'm finally doing what i need to do for myself! Any suggestions on how to keep working out and deal with shin splints? Or should i stop with the chance of not starting again for years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• It can turn into a stress fracture if you continue to run on it!!! Take it easy.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 9:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• maybe you could work on your upper body or try yoga or something else low impact while you get better
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 9:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If you can still walk--walk---research power walking. Find a hill if possible. I never knew shin splints could "turn into" a fracture??Really?? I had them really bad when teaching high impact aerobics--years ago:-) I also ran. I learned to deal with them. Thus one reason "leg warmers" were nice:-) Really dated now:-) But shin splints stink.
    NOW I would power walk instead of run.
    What other options do you have available? Do you have any stairs that you can climb?
    Anonymous

• The risk of shin splints is no reason to give up your morning jog or afternoon aerobics class. Most cases of shin splints can be treated with rest, ice and other self-care measures — and wearing proper footwear and modifying your exercise routine can help prevent shin splints from recurring.

That is from the Mayo site:-)
    Anonymous

• Stress fracture When shin splints are not responsive to treatment, your doctor may want to make sure you do not have a stress fracture. A bone scan and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can often show if a fracture is present. The diagnostic tests, causes of shin splints, and treatment regimens all bear a similarity and relationship to stress fractures. It is possible that there is a relationship between shin splints and stress fracture, but this has not been clearly identified.

From AOSS site

Anonymous

• Shin splints occur mainly when you push yourself too hard in your workout and do not give your legs enought time to warmup. You need to make sure that you stretch yourself before every single workout. You can not start with just runnung right away, you must walk or jog to get warm and stretched. I run everyday. When I first started I would get really bad shin splints. Then I took the extra 5-10 minutes to stretch, power walk for another 5 minutes, and then proceed to jog. After a few weeks, you will realize that it gets easier and your legs will become conditioned.
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2009