Could this be autism?

I have a niece who is autistic and thought I knew what to look for. But my son is getting an evaluation tuesday from early childhood intervention. He has terrible seperation anxiety and cries if anyone else talks to him, plays with him, or picks him up unless its me. He flaps his arms when he's excited, he doesn't say any words and he's 18 months old. He seems to get frustrated at everything, if he can't reach or put toys in their slots. He seems very angry if things don't go his way and he's been like that since a newborn. Does anyone have an autistic child that is like mine? Or could it be something else?

babygirl9304627

Asked by babygirl9304627 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Also, he won't let me feed him, I have to fix him something like finger foods so he can feed himself. He won't eat unless he can feed himself, he is very independent when it comes to eating.
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I do and he was like that (and then some)-- BUT I have also seen 'normal kids' at that age that can be described like that.

and it could be Sensory Integration Disorder, too
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Hmm, what is sensory integration disorder?
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It sounds like it might be autisim. The flapping the hands and getting very frustrated all the time over simple things is a red flag. If he seems more upset on days where his routine is messed up thats also another red flag. his speech delay ...yea. those are all red flags.
    My brother has aspergers and i was trained to watch children with ASD. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My kid does alot of that i don't necessarily think it's autism as much as it's just his nature but good luck at the evaluation keep us updated.
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• sensory integration disorder (or Sensory Proeccessing Disorder - (SID/SPD)) is frequently misdiagnosed as ADHD, ODD, Asperger's, and others. But it is 'on the spectrum' and they all kind of blend together.

I don;t have any links saved and it's best to google it so you can read the full descriptions. a good book is The Out of Sync Child.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 9:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I don't have one, but my oldest did stuff like that and every one including the doc. thought she might be. Wehad her evaluated and she wasn't. It could just be over independance and testing that's what mine was doing. Good luck!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It is good you have someone testing him. The no words thing worries me a little, but some kids develop later. I hope everything works out for you and your little one.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• As a special educator of children ages Birth to 5, I can honestly say that I know a 6th grader that flaps her hands when excited, she is not Autistic. I work with many children who do not speak well or speak late, they are not Autistic. I work with many children who do not like to feed themselves, they are not Autistic. I work with children who have Sensory Integration Disorder, they are not Autistic. As you can see, just because a child has some characteristics that fit they criteria for Autism. It is a Spectrum Disorder, which means that a child with Autism can be on a broad spectrum and be Autisic. They can be from one end (Classical Autism/Low Functioning, possibly Mentally Impaired)--------to------Moderate Autism(some characteristics, not as severly involved ------to the other end with Asbergers(a high functioning student, usually vary smart, some "quirky" behavior, trouble with socializing). (continued next)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Does your son have many ear infections? This could be the cause for his speech delays. When there is fluid in the ear often, he cannot hear conversational speech. If he is delayed in his speech, then he is probably very frustrated when he cannot get his wants and needs communicated well. Maybe teaching him some simple sign language will give him some way to communicate until the language improves. ( The signs, eat, drink, potty, help, etc. are good to start with.) Be prepared that the early intervention evaluation team may not be able to give you a diagnosis because it has to come from a psychologist, neurologist, or medical doctor. Also, Sensory Integration Disorder is when a child has difficulty regulating the sensory input that they receive through their senses. They may be sensitive to loud sounds, certain textures, etc. (Once they have received specific sensory input they can cope better.) Best Wishes!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2009