How do I talk to my son about sex?

I am a single parent and there is no male in my sons life. He will be 13 in May. How do I talk to him about sex? He will be uncomfortable and will not be able to ask me questions. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Just tell him its a way of life and u need to be open and talk about it. Tell him to make sure he uses a condom but abstinence is the best thing for him but if he isn't going to wait to use a condom! tell him the reasons and consequences and if u tell him to never do it or be really strict u may push him so hard hell end up doing it any how! good luck hun
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 9:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• They say the best way to talk to a boy is while your doing a project or chore together, it helps them to be busy so they don't feel so uncomfortable. I would just casually bring it up while you are doing something together. Maybe start with "I was just wondering now that your getting older if you had any questions about sex or girls that I could try to answer for you?" Just let him know that you are there and you want him to feel comfortable talking to you. Let him know that when the time comes that he feels ready to have sex that you want him to be responsible and know all the facts.
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 10:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Just let him know that you are always there for him, that no matter the questions he has you will answer them honestly and if you don't know the answer you will find it out. Make sure you try not to overreact with his questions. You could start out by asking what he has learned in Health class or that some, if not most, of what he hears in the halls at school or from friends may not be accurate and that he should come to you to get any info he needs. Be open with him. I am also a single mom but have my ex boyfriend/best friend to help me out with my son. He entered our lives when we needed him the most. He is awesome with my son and my son is very comfortable talking to him about anything. If you ever want to talk, send a PM and I will respond.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• did his father bail on you?
    Make sure that u let him know all about puberity and sex, after that make DAMN sure that u tell him whenever he starts having sex is fine, and his choice but he needs to respect women, and by doing so take care of responsiblity, tell him he is turning into a MAN, and a real man respects and PROTECTS his women, takes care of his actions and always is responsible in his choices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• These are conversations that start practically from birth. It will help you to know what is covered in school and to build on the great example that you have set for him during his life. The banana and condom talk will be very hard for you, but you MUST to it, both to prevent pregnancy and protect your son from potentially fatal diseases.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:40 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I was in the same boat you are. Then one of his friends said that he heard at school that a girl can get pg from eating rice. Well living in the deep south.. we would all be preggers. So i used it as an open door to start the discussion. kinda like did you hear that and what do you think. you would be amazed at the missinformation that our kids our hearing, so that set the stage for a open and honest talk. he told me all the things he "knew" about sex and i offered an informed and correct answer. So while he is occupied with video games. just say something like you are on your way to being a man now so tell me what you know about it. explain you heard some crazy things and wonder what he knows. make it fun and explain the difference. definatly enforce safety on all measures and the consequence for not being safe.

helenamarie68

Answer by helenamarie68 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son will be 16 in May. I was a single mom most of this life up until 1 year ago. Honesty!!!! i cant stress that enough, Your son may not wanna have "the talk" but u need to do it anyway, Be open and honest. If its easier have him write any questions he may have down and u answer them back on paper. They get ALOT of incorrect info from friends, i foundthat out talking to my son. It's not always comfortable but its a must. You'll find the way that works for u, just don't allow him to find info on his own. Single moms work twice as hard and spens alot of time trying to make up for the other parent not being there. But talk to him...... theres no easy time to do it. Just do it lol
    jussomeonesmom

Answer by jussomeonesmom at 10:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2009