First period after having baby

I know that the first period after having a baby can be heavier than usual, but does this sound OK to you?

My period came back last Saturday, exactly 7 weeks postpartum (yay for me). It lasted like 7 days...the first 3 were really quite heavy. The rest of the days were normal. Then yesterday it was gone. But today it seems to be back - at a light to normal level. Just last week though I did start back up with my exercise routine -- I exercised 5 times this week including spin class yesterday.

Do you think the combination of exercising & just having a baby recently are the reason for this to come back? I figure if it doesn't stop by Tuesday or so I'll give my doctor a call. I don't have any cramps or anything - just more period. Yippee.

Does it sound OK to you?

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it could congrats on ur baby tho
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 10:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• It doesn't sound unusual to me. I'd be more concerned if you were having other problems.
    CurvieMomma

Answer by CurvieMomma at 10:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I could swear I read recently that anything within 65 days of birth is considered post partum bleeding. Mine stops and starts a lot after birth, up to about 10 weeks after. Maybe it could be that?
    Babygirl1971

Answer by Babygirl1971 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Someone emailed this info to me a year or so ago, so I don't know where it came from.
    I just copied part of the email for you because it mentions the number of days.

Who can use LAM?

A woman can use LAM if:

1. her menstrual period has not returned since delivery (Bleeding or spotting during the first 56 days is not considered menstrual bleeding.) AND
    Babygirl1971

Answer by Babygirl1971 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. My first period after Elizabeth was SO messed up. I waited for the second one to see if it would regulate. I now have normal periods, but for the first time I am not regular. Frustrating!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2009