What are the risks for the baby when the father is nearing 40?

Hi. My DH and I are going to try this summer for a baby. He will be 40 in August and I will be 34 in September. My in-laws are in town and my MIL, while so so sweet, is eager for a granddaughter but is telling me she read that more and more problems with pregnancies occur when the father is 40 or over?

Is there much truth to this or is this a scare tactic for mothers to have very risky tests done during pregnancy?

I'm kinda freaked out about this. Help.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I was 41 & my husband was 42 when we had baby #3, 12 mos later we had baby #4 and they are both perfect. The risks increase with the age of the mother, not so much the father. (unless he's like 70 or something like that.)

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• The only things I've seen were based on studies that were really too small to rely on. More study is needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My sis fiance' is 52 and both of her kids are 6 and 4. They are healthy and beautiful. It has nothing to do with the father's sperm. I can go down the list of people I know with healthy kids and the man is over 40.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• my dh is 37 and im 18 and my babys r just fine...one is 2 and the other is 4months
    Anonymous

• There is no risk for babies whos fathers are older, it is about the mother, but you guys can still have a healthy baby!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Men can father babies until the day they die. (Actually I believe the body still produces some sperm a day or two after death, even, but I could be off.) There is no risk if the father is of advanced age. There are, however, risks for the mother. Men produce new sperm every day. Women, however, are born with all the eggs they will ever have. The older the woman gets, the older her eggs get. And she never produces any newer ones. Hugh Hefner could father a baby today if he wanted.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 1:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Wildkitten I just picked that up also...I think it was a typo
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My dad will be 50 this year and I have a little sister thats 6 and she's normal lol I dont think the man has anything to do with it...Good luck with everything!!!
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2009