Just a little help.

So here lately I have been home (switching from one job to the other and I don't start until April 13th) And I've noticed how messy and certain family member is! To save money right now (being newly weds is NOT easy) we moved in with my husbands mom and his 11 year old sister. We decided this would save us money until my better paying job could get us our own apartment. But recently I've noticed the messes his sister makes, and NEVER picks up. I'm no clean freak but I like to eat my dinner at a kitchen table and NOT be surrounded my crafts and beads. I don't want to be rude but I think the stuff should be picked up when your finished. And she doesn't seem to listen to ANYONE. Her mom says it's her lack of attention because of ADHD but I think some of it is also because she knows if she doesn't pick it up, mom will because it's been that way for as long as I can remember. Help...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is ADHD and he picks up his messes because he knows that if I have to, it will be gone. It sounds more like lil sis is spoiled and used to mommy picking up after her. I would pick it all up, put it in a box and hide it. When lil sis asks where her stuff is, tell her that when she learns to pick up after herself she will get it back, The kitchen table is for eating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• well, some mess just comes with kids, but she should be able to pick up after herself. even if she doesn't do it right away, the dining room/kitchen table should be cleared before meals. maybe you could make a thing about setting the table. i know my SD loves helping clear and set the table at dinner time. then she will be helping and be cleaning up her mess.

i know its hard since its not your house. but remember its almost April and her messy-ness and lack of discipline and structure will no longer be your problem.

good luck.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son is 10 and has addhd and picks up after himself. I know it's hard living with another family and the approach may seem hard. I guess you just have to bite your tongue until you get your own place and if she trys that crap you can MAKE her pick up her mess in your place. Wish I could be more help
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 7:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Really, there are a lot of differences in how parents raise their children. If her mom lets her leave out the beads and craft items, then maybe that is because Mom doesn't mind them being there. Since you are only living there to save money, it doesn't really matter what you think about the 11 year old or how her mother parents her! Just focus on saving money and move as soon as you can! Relax for now, and try to ignore it. That is really all you can do.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2009