baby with a lazy eye

When I'm playing with my 6 month old, I notice that one of her eyes (always the same eye) seems to just wander away while the other one looks at me or her toy or whatever. She had crossed eyes as a newborn, but it went away and she seems like she can see just fine, [ex: she squeals whenever she sees a kitten run across the street on the other side of the block and that takes decent eyesight] but I don't want her to have a lazy eye! Is that a "baby" thing that goes away or is that a permanent thing? :(

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 10:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to take her to an Opthamologist. The earlier treated the better.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son has a lazy eye as well. It may go away but they wont do anything about it until the baby is 11 months old anyways so dont waste your time seeing a specialist yet (which i did and all he did was say yup he has a lazy eye if he still has it going on when he is 11 months we'll see him again) Ugh irritating. But I wouldnt worry just yet, especially if it is an intermitent thing ( my sons crosses when he gets really excited its actually quitye comical) also black and white like mobiles and stuff are suppose to improve focus and may help straighten everything out
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• The poor kid is already gonna be one of those "weird" kids who can't have dairy or nuts or soy or fish or eggs and can't get any more of her shots, I really hope she doesn't have a messed up eye on top of everything. It's making me really sad.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 10:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son has the same thing and my husband see's an eye doctor for the same thing. So his last check up I asked his doctor to look at my son... He said yep thats what it is. But the first thing they will do is try glass's and they can't exactly do that with a lil one he said not til he's probably 3-4 till we can even really do anything. So as long as she is seeing ok and it's not a HUGE problem I would have it looked at when she is a year old but they probably wont do anything. It's just another thing add to your list lol
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• If you take her in they can help I'm sure. There are babies that young with glasses if needed. It won't hurt to have her checked and be on the safe side. I wish I had taken my son that early but I didn't. I have with my other two and that resulted in my two year old (at the time)getting glasses and now my seventeen month old may need them. They go to a pediatric Ophthalmologist every six months. My oldest son is going through patch therapy for two years now. His last appointment his Dr. said he could start wearing his patch less.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Lazy eye (amblyopia) does not go away. It only gets worse if not treated and can eventually lead to functional blindness.

Take her in and have her checked. If it is amblyopia or strabismus it can be treated much easier when caught early!

I have one son with esotropia (eye turns in) and on with amblyopia (lazy eye). The oldest with esotropia has been lucky and it's responded well to simple treatment with glasses. My youngest with amblyopia didn't respond to patches and glasses and had to have surgery on both eyes last December. It worked VERY well. He is in glasses again because one of his eyes started turning in VERY slightly but it's responding to glasses this time!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I hope you have seen an eye doctor by now. My daughter was diagnosed with Accomodative Esotropia at almost 7 months and has been in glasses ever since. She is now 14 months old and having surgery to correct the tight muscle in her eye. There is so much that can be done to correct this problem. Good luck!
    CourtneyQualls

Answer by CourtneyQualls at 5:40 PM on Sep. 8, 2009