How bad is an episotomy (sp?) in reality??

To me it sounds rathar awful..

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 10:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I tore a second degree tear (a four is as far as youcan get) and I almost cried every time I went pee becuase it burned so bad.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My first was. Couldn't sit for 6 weeks, still sore for 2 more past that. Then it didn't heal right and s3x was painful in certain positions, never went back to the doc that delivered my daughter, should've switched during pregnancy but was too chicken. The one I had with my son was so much better. He mainly did it to fix the damage left behind from the first. I sat very comfortably within hours of birth and throughout the post partum period. I needed the pain meds more for the cramping after birth than for the pain from the episiotomy. The first was a mediolateral and the second was a midline.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i didn't tear or have an episiotomy with my son but i had an episiotomy with my daughter and when your pushing you don't really notice. It burned really bad after both deliveries so i think it's normal it just hurts because your body is not used to streching like that.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• well, I had it done with my daughter, which it probably wouldnt have been too bad but she ripped me from v to a. thats worse that the episiotomy (sp?). I had so many stitches.It would burn when i would pee.I couldnt hardily sit right. & it hurt me for like 2 months. But everyone is different. I think it really depends on the doc doing it, and if you tear or not.
    Anonymous

• When my first son was born the did the episotomy and my DH said that was the worst thing to watch, not me being in labor for 18 hours and pushing for another hour but the sound of them cutting me was horrible. After words I was afraid to poop and had horrible hemmoroids for 3 months it burned to pee. So maybe you can try to stretch out the skin first with oil or something like that for a week or two before you due date. Good luck it sucked.
    Anonymous