sexting?

who thinks teenage kids should get jail time and have their names put on the sex offenders list for taking pictures of themselves naked and then sending the pics to their boy/girlfriends- then being considered child pornographers for it?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Kids don't need cell phones. No cell phones, no sexting. That simple! I grew up without cell phones as well as millions of other people and we survived!!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• The sex offenders list is going to turn into a useless thing if this happens. Look, they are young and stupid. Remember being young and stupid? They need MORE supervision and to be taught better morals. But sending them to child under a child porn charge when it's themselves is absurd.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• exactly! thats how i feel! but i was just watching geraldo at large and they were saying there are a group of da's that are trying to make this happen- crazy.... and i agree with the no cell phone thing too! i feel that kids dont need them until they are old enough to buy them themselves
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• First, they shouldn't have a cell phone and texting and all that stuff to begin with. Second, the parents are responsible for teaching morals and values. Kids need parents that are involved and in today's world that isn't always possible. Should she be sending naked pictures of herself over the internet? Absolutely not. Should she be punished? Absolutely but I am not sure as a sex-offender. Maybe a better choice would be take the makeup off of her, take the earrings out, and make her do some community service for a year, everyday after school and several hours on Saturday and Sunday, at a hopital or Hospice or someplace like that. To just slap her hand is not the answer. And, make it a law that cell phones are to be for the tender age of 18 and over. Hell, we make laws for everything else.........
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• No. That is about as smart as some of the zero tolerance policies out there. You shouldn't ruin someones future because of a stuipd and basically harmless teenage act.

Punishment for this type of thing belongs in the hands of the parents not the government.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Forever...I LOVE the community service idea! Maybe in a center for abused women too. See a little more of real life!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think labeling them sex offenders is overboard. These are kids being kids thinking only of themselves. They do not have the reasoning to think beyond what they are doing especially the repercussions of their actions. I have a 14 yr old son who makes mistakes and does not see beyond the present the consequences of his actions from time to time. It is vital that the parents be parents to their children and monitor the teens actions. That IS our responsibility and our job as parents to guide our children into the right direction.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Hmm. well I would say no, but yes is really appealing to me at this point.
    Why? because what one stupid kid does, leads to another.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• This happened in my community and I think it is outrageous. Then intent of child pornography laws are to criminalize adults taking advantage of young people, not to criminalize children taking images of themselves and sending them to other children (I use the term children, but honestly I view someone that is 16 pretty much an adult). Honestly, I don't understand why this is a big deal. Camera phones just came out when I was a teenager, but it wasn't uncommon to swap sexy pictures via email or exchange links to online porn. I knew people who got involved in much worse.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 1:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Cell phones are like anything else a parent needs to be present when in use. Parents are not present anymore and they need to be. I seen what kids look up on the internet computer on myspace and the libriains don't stop it and they are not the parents anyway. I think banning cell phones till 18 as suggested is silly. My children were taught how to use their cell phone. That is our house phone and they treat it with respect. Why should my kid be punished because of lazy parenting. That is all this boils down to is lazy parents who push their responsiblities off on to teachers and wonder what happened.

I don't think they should label as sex offenders. I do think there should be something done to both child and parents. Now if a kid takes a photo say of a girl or guy unknowing or even with permission because they think it is for their personal phone but the kid forwards it then I think their should be stiff consquences.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 1:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009