• In the Spotlight:

sexting?

who thinks teenage kids should get jail time and have their names put on the sex offenders list for taking pictures of themselves naked and then sending the pics to their boy/girlfriends- then being considered child pornographers for it?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• That is ridiculous. First thing that needs to happen is the parents stop giving them a damn phone and teach their children right from wrong!.

Anonymous

• I don't think so... I think that this happens quite often and sometimes teenagers don't have very good knowledge of the consequences of the things that they do. Community service or a light punishment would be better than jail time and sex offender list. I just feel that if a teen is doing this its because they don't have a very good self worth!!
    Anonymous

• Kids don't need cell phones. No cell phones, no sexting. That simple! I grew up without cell phones as well as millions of other people and we survived!!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I agree with previous posters. I didnt have a cell phone when I was a teen and I am only 22. Firm parenting can easily prevent naughty behavior and it would be awful difficult to charge a CHILD with CHILD pornography
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• OP here- thats how i feel too but i just saw on geraldo at large that there are a group of da's that are planning on enforcing this and i think its the craziest thing ive ever heard-
    Anonymous

• didnt mean to put that anon! lol sorry!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I think it is pretty stupid.
    Rainbowbrite639

Answer by Rainbowbrite639 at 12:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Well since its obvious that parents are not going to just stop giving their kids cell phones then yes I DO think there should be some sort of punishment for doing those types of things, to the extent you said no that seems a little harsh to me but I would say community service and even possibly informal probation or something like that, teens and kids don't always have the best judgement when it comes to stuff like that they think that hey I am young and it doesn't matter but what they fail to realize is that those pictures are forever and get out there easily and never go away. When I was a teen (which was not that long ago since I am only 25) we were all doing bad things enough without the help of anything, and now cell phones and sites like myspace just totally enable kids to be more promiscuous then they need to be period.

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009