Newborns drinking water????

So i let my in laws babysit the other night and when i picked up my one month old. They told me that they gave him some water in a bottle because he seemed thirsty not hungry. I didn't say anything, but there very old fashioned and i dont think your supposed to give a baby water. . Any ideas?

mandar

Asked by mandar at 10:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They do NOT need water and they need to follow your parenting style.

Anonymous

• I don't think it will hurt them, as long as you're still feeding them the right amount of their formula daily. A little water won't hurt, it can be good for their digestive system.
    Anonymous

• As long as it was a teeny tiny amount I wouldn't fuss about it. If it was a few ounces, I'd be mad. How old is baby?

Water fills up the tummy so they get more water and less "good stuff" from the milk. Too much water can be toxic, but I doubt they went overboard. Next time let them know baby can't have water.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• NO water for newborns! Babies won't need water as a supplement until they're about year, or whenever they make the switch for cowsmilk. The water can throw the delicate electrolyte balance out of whack for babies.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• no no no...they can choke on it and they dont NEED it.
    Anonymous

• just say your pediatrician recommends no water until your baby is a year old, a little water isnt going to hurt her but remember that story on the news about the mothers who put their babies in serious danger by watering down their formula to try to save money. LOTS of water consumption takes up sapce in your babies tummy and they arent getting the nutrients they need to grow and can become failure to thrive. Be honest with your in laws (or better yet have your hubby talk to them about it) because if they will be babysitting often they need to be on the same page
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• First PP, For one thing, it doesn't sound like they were trying to go against her parenting style, they probably didn't even know how she felt. Also, I don't see a problem with some water as long as you're not replacing their feedings with it. Water is fine to give them here and there. It's not a necessity, but it's not dangerous. I think you're confusing it with people who have tried to water down formula causing their baby to be malnourished, or people who have not given the correct amount of formula to cut down. That is dangerous if they're not getting all the nutrition they need in a day. It's not dangerous to give some water to a baby as long as they are fed properly.

Anonymous

• regardless of whether it is right or wrong. This is your baby, you should use your own maternal instincts and if you think something is not right, tell them... Because later on they will probably be doing more things that you don't agree with, and you need to be able to speak up on your childs behalf. I know that this was only water and wouldn't hurt the baby, but as a mom if you didn't like it, or it wasn't something that you would do. Tell them. As i have a ridiculous mil and fil, just thought i would let you know my opinion. GOOD LUCK.
    Anonymous

• If it was maybe an ounce don't worry about it. Just ask them not to next time. Or if they do, tell them just an ounce or even a half ounce, no more than that.
    Anonymous

• I gave my baby sips of water starting at 6 weeks, but I live in a ridiculously hot and humid climate so it seemed appropriate, the kid was thirsty. It's up to you if you want to give it to your baby or not, but the water she already drank isn't gonna kill her.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2009