• In the Spotlight:

getting really depressed

my son just turned one month old and im getting really depressed. . I wake up in the middle of the night with him and im irritated as hell .. .I used to get up fine with him. . But it just started a week ago that i cant be awake with him for even an half hour without feeling like im gonna freak out. . Is this treatable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know how you feel, I'm going through some physical problems right now and my baby daughter is teething so she was screaming all day long and wouldn't let me put her down for ONE SECOND to put the laundry in the machine, and then she slammed her face into my nose and screamed while kicking me in the stomach, and for one second all I could think about was punching her in the face as hard as I could... of course I'd never do it, she's my whole world, but it was there in my mind today. Babies are annoying, it'll get better.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• yes my dear it sounds like you have postpartum depression, and it is totally treatable and wont last forever but you need to call your doctor like NOW because medication takes two weeks to go into effect. It makes a major difference and talk therapy might help as well. Also maybe having your hubby pick up a few nightime feedings might help. I have PPD and there are little things that my husband does to help me keep my sanity. Like I always get a little bit of me time each day and I chose how to spend it. Sometimes I nap sometimes I work adn sometimes I literally just sit there and stare in to space. But that little bit of time to decompress helps me out alot
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I know the feeling. My son is 7 months old and I at times feel the same way.. I think it comes from being the soul care taker of them.. I'm a SAHM I wouldnt trade my choice for the world but mommies need a break sometimes. Something that would help because it helps me is let someone watch the baby for even an hour and that gives you time todo whatever you want and not have to worry about being mommy and have to deal with a baby. You can just focus on you. My husband is only off one day a week. So what I do is we spend the most of the day at home so he can spend time with our son.. Then that evening we go out with out our son... My granny helped raise my brother and myself so she just doesnt understand not raising him so this is how I fix that problem.. But it gives you time and away and tie to re-focus on what needs to be done and kind of de-stress if you will. Hope this helps
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Don't go thinking you have post partum just yet. I felt the same way you did. I was so happy in the beginning but you once the novelty wore off I hated it. I felt so alone and uninterested in the baby. I cried for days for no reason. I knew it wasn't post partum beacuse I was still able to go about my daily routines. Fortunately I had my husband. And just having someone to listen to me and comfort me made everything better. If you're having a hard time, seek some support, just someone who will listen. Please don't feel guilty for being mad at your baby. It's understandable, in some way your child has taken away your identity, but he'll help you create an even better one. Give it time, talk it out and don't feel guilty.
    JazG

Answer by JazG at 11:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You may just be exhausted, have you been getting enough sleep lately, or has your normal schedule been disturbed? Maybe something else is going on in your life that is causing extra stress? It doesn't have to be depression, maybe you need to get out and get some fresh air and sunshine, take a walk, go to the park, or possibly you need a better schedule so you feel more relaxed? There are also times that our bodies are crying out for something that we are lacking, I would begin taking a good multivitamin and Omega 3 Fatty acids ASAP, vitamin deficiency causes depressive symptoms~ A doctor should be the last resort in my opinion.

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 11:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• This is very treatable! It's sounds like the beginning stages of ppd. If the feelings don't start subsiding soon I would call your dr. Don't let it get so bad you can barely function. The best thing would be to catch it early. I was put on zoloft for my ppd and it helped a lot. Plus a cream made by arbonne called Pro Lief a natural balancing cream since your hormones are going crazy right now. Please feel free to email me if you'd like to talk. Kaitlyn.Altman@gmail.com
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Hey I went through the same thing. But it does go away. I don't know if I had just a little ppd but it went away after a few weeks. Try a few things different. Like a tried to catch a nap when my son was even if it meant not folding the clothes. I do honestly believe it was from lack of sleep. Another thing I noticed help me feel alot better was getting out during the day to go walking. I'd strap my young one in his car seat which snapped onto his stroller and i would take a walk. I live down a dirt road so for me it was really just around the perimiter of the yard a few times, but I felt alot better during and after. In the evenings I would convince my boyfriend to give me some alone time and i took a shower.
    Gr33Kmama

Answer by Gr33Kmama at 12:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I feel for you. I remember going through that, and then feeling WORSE because NO ONE tells you about that - you think that it's going to be an automatic sense of patience at every hour of the day, no matter what. And you feel like the only person in the world who could feel that way. I used to get so frustrated, I would literally Yell, yes yell! at my newborn daughter - how awful is that? She didn't know - and that was my cue to wake my husband up, and tell him I had enough. I definitely recommend having someone as a Plan B when you feel like that. It's like you don't realize that being a mom means being completely selfless. Trust me - i will DEFINITELY get better. And it will mainly get better when your son starts interacting - that was when it was drastically different for me. In the beginning, it's a whole like of give, give, give, and I think that's why newborns are so tough (besides the obvious lack of sleep!)
    Babykayks710

Answer by Babykayks710 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2009