Is it time to switch to the sippy cup?

My 9 month old is bottle-fed, but shows no interest in holding her bottle full-time...she'll hold it on occasion but I still do most of the holding.

She can get formula from a sippy cup, but she can't quite hold the cups by herself yet.

Even though she can't hold the sippy by herself, is it still a good idea to make the switch from bottles to sippies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep! She can use the cup, so time to ditch the bottle. Work with her on holding the cup. She can drink from the cup, there is no reason to still have a bottle.

Put her hands on the cup with yours gently over hers. If she takes her hands off, let the cup drop down. She'll catch on that if she takes her hands off the cup, the cup drops. Once she keeps her hands on the cup, then work with her to keep it tipped up if she isn't already doing that. It took our sons about 2 weeks to figure it out and they were 6 months old.

I don't recommend letting them play with a sippy cup unless you want a battle later with them trying to play with a regular cup. But then, I view it as cups are not toys, nor are plates and utensils. (just my opinion)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• yep my son was 5months when he didnt want the bottle no more
    Anonymous

• I was always told that the transition prior to nine months should be gradual maybe one feeding a day is with the sippy? The goal is to have them transitioned by 12 months to the sippy. My mother is an early childhood educator and is on teh board of education for the state of wisconsin she told me a recent study showed that children who were cut off early from sucking activities (bottles and pacis) were 2 times more likely to smoke later in life. NOW whether I personally believe that or not, ehe, I dont know but I dont see teh harm in keeping the bottle around till their one if they want it. I would say follow your babies cues
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• i had my daughter using sippy cups at 7 months for juice and bottles for formula which she didnt really care for the bottles either.
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 11:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• id say probally ready for just sippy cups
    photogrypher

• My daughter started taking sips of water from a sippy cup at 3months. :) Now she's 11months and LOVES to hold her own sippy.
    Anonymous

• i would work more with the child and get them better at holding the cup before i'd start giving it to her all the time. i will sit my daughter in the high chair with a sippy with water in it and some of her puff snacks and that keeps her busy for a while and she's learning how to use the sippy. she's able to figure out the cup on her own time and when she sees a sippy she thinks that it's a big treat for her.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• You could try getting her some transition cups that have handles, Natalie wasn't big on holding her bottle either but really like having handles to grasp, plus since it was a transition cup, the flow wasn't too fast for her. I would let your LO play with it with some water or diluted juice for a little while to get the hang of it before I would flat out switch.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2009