NURSING question

When my son was first born, he was on only breast for a week straight. Then, due to me being a wimp & my son sucking too hard, I started pumping and giving it to him right after. I did that for a month, and realized my milk supply was slowly decreasing. Today I started taking Fenugreek pills 2 at a time, 3x a day & brought my baby back to breast, as well as pumping every 2 hours to increase "supply & demand" even when I only got an ounce at a time.

How long do you think it will be before my supply increases?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The more he eats, the more milk you produce.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• within 24 hours, you should see improvement drink lots and lots of water and try eating oatmeal or oatmeal cookies if you like them. They helped me as well and just nurse nurse nurse nurse its awesome that your baby will still latch on with a month of bottle feedings under his belt. Good for you! way to persevere!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• good luck
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• a few days you should see some improvement, i started using them bc im working long days and couldnt keep up with her. i take 3 at a time tho 3 times a day. i think i smell like a pancake all the time lol, its worth it tho
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 11:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• pumping is not a good indicator of supply. some mom's can't get anything pumping, baby just does a better job of getting it out. a better indicator is diaper counts. type diaper count in the search box on kellymom.com
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I can't give an exact time frame, but it won't be long. Don't worry about how much you pump. Just use it for stimulation. I did the exact same thing. I exclusively pumped for a while after wimping out then grew my balls back and put baby back to breast. Fenugreek and nursing on demand were all we needed. It was fine and dandy after that.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Anytime my milk supply starts to decrease it takes a couple days of me really pumping religiously and still feeding to get it back up to where it needs to be. I read that even if you don't get anything when you pump it still will increase your milk supply bc it tells your body that you need to make more milk. I've found this to be very true! You'll see results I'd say within 24-48 hours for sure.
    Madisonsmomma1

Answer by Madisonsmomma1 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2009