• In the Spotlight:

how do you nicely tell someone not to touch your baby

there is this lady at my church today that kept coughing through the whole service and she kept reaching out to try to get my daughter to walk towards her but dd wouldnt. but before when i was hold dd she got right up in her face to give her kisses, i was so surprised i didnt even know what to say. she only did it cuz she say someone else do it but i know that person so it didnt irritate me. so i guess im asking how do you tell her nicely not to touch my baby

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids were shy so I always blamed it on that...just say that she isnt comfortqble with people like that and please give her some space.
    Anonymous

• Maybe your daughter just got over an "illness" that makes her more susceptible to more sickness and it would be really great if she could please use your hand sanitizer befroe touching the baby and avoid the whole face to face interaction. Personally I make ANYONE who wants to touch my child sanitize their hands and kisses are for family only. It is a touchy situation though and as an active member of a church I hated flu and cold season. Everyone passed around the same crud all winter long. Attendance rapidly decreased once october hit and it was inevitable, whatever someone had at church you were bound to get.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I've always wondered the same thing. I had my son in the bathroom at a restaurant once waiting to change his diaper and this lady came out of the stall and before she even washed her hands she came up to see him and touched his arm. I was so grossed out. As soon as she left I scrubbed my son's arm with soap and warm water. I feel bad telling people no when they're only trying to be nice and admire my baby but sometimes they just don't think. I like the blame it on the shyness idea only it's hard to do when my son smiles and laughs for anyone who pays attention to him lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I HATE when people tried to touch my babies! I just told them I preferred for people not to touch their hands or their face. I don't know how old your daughter is but babies are always putting their hands in their mouths and it disgusted me knowing people touched their hands- not knowing where their hands had been- and now my baby is putting them in his mouth-ugh!
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as you! Church is loads of fun for baby touchers, drives me nuts
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Don't sit by her next time you go to church. lol Um just say she doesn't do well with people she doesn't know. There really isn't a polite way to say "don't touch my child"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• "excuse me mam, but ive noticed that you've been coughing throughout the entire service. i Really don't want my dd to get sick so i would appreciate it if you would keep your distance. Thank you"
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• At my TC, I say that my kid has a problem with her immune system and shouldn't be touched by anyone. It's total BS, but what can ya do.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• "There really isn't a polite way to say "don't touch my child" "

This is kinda true, but it's SO FREAKIN impolite to touch someone else's kid without asking!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009