• In the Spotlight:

Am I a single mother or not?

Currently, I am not married. However, I am dating someone but we have not decided to get married yet. I've been asked if I was a single mother and I really don't know how to answer that. I know I'm in a relationship but how would I classify myself as a single mother or a non-single mother? It's had me wondering for some time now...

And before anyone asks, no, this isn't a joke. I am genuinely confused on how to answer this and I know I'm not the only one out there. A few moms in a chat I am a regular in have often asked this question as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Well legally yes you are a "single" mother, but you are in a relationship. So you arent. I dont know I know where you are coming from
    Anonymous

• Well are you with the father of the child? If so you could say i'm in a commited monogamous relationship with the father, but you choose not to get married yet. That will shut them up! lol
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Are you in a relationship with your child's father? Do you live with this person? If he isn't your child's father and you aren't married, I would say you are a single mother.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Does this guy live with you or pay for anything for your child(ren)? If he does help you then I wouldnt consider myself a single parent. But if hes not living with you or helping you out with the kids then yeah you are but you are in a relationship.
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 12:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i would say single mom, when filling out legal forms that is what u have to put (ie school or job paperwork)

be glad that u are a single-in-a-relationship-mom :)
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 12:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If the person that you are dating you are living with and is being a father figure for your child (bio or not) then I would say that you are not a single parent.
    If you are just dating then I would say that you are a single parent.

I have seen many familys without the parents married but because the boyfreind is always there and he is the father figure they are not single parents.
    JenFunSniffer

Answer by JenFunSniffer at 1:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you are doing everything for your child and living alone in your home with your child, then you are a single Mom. If you are living with the father of your child and he is helping raise this child, then No you aren't a single Mom.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009