How do you tell your 10 month old no?

My 10 month old wants to put everything in her mouth and liked to go to the dogs dish and attempt to go swimming, and she wants to pull everything off of the coffee table. I know people who have never had to move anything, how do they do this? And how do you tell your child no or let them know they arent supposed to have something? My DD is SPOILED is every aspect

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just remember that EVERYTHING is new to her. She just isn't taking in what things look like, but how they smell and feel. Lots of baby's feel with their mouths. The dog dishes are a wanderfull toy for her right now. That said, we tell our son in a firm voice "NO" then either remove the object from hands or move is hand away from the object (like the TV). If it is a major no no, like the electrical plugs (and yes, we have safety plugs in them) then we will tell him "No" at the same time flicking his fingers (not too hear, just enough to annoy him).

This will take time and patient on your part but she is still very young and will learn eventually.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You say NO in a really loud voice. If that doesn't stop her, swat her butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah okay, I am not swatting her butt
    Anonymous

• Tell them no no in a nice way. They'll learn the meaning eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My DD knows what shes doing, she loves the remote and somehow ALWAYS ends up getting it. If I walk over to get it from her, she starts to crawl away extremely fast LOL. How am I supposed to let her know that mommy said no. She knows what shes doing and she knows that shes not supposed to do certain things.... Shes VERY feisty LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• im goin w the first answer
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Please do not take offense to this. You are her mother! You need to teach her no, she wants your attention so give it to her in a different way, try sitting in the floor and playing with her and some toys she can have. when she tries to do something, sternly but calmly say no no, and move her away from whatever she isn't supposed to have. You may have to baby proof a little more than you originally planned since she is so stubborn, when she gets something you don't want her to have say "no no, thats mommys ____ , not baby's" she will learn what that means and eventually you will be able to teach her to "give it to mommy" and she won't run off with it, lol. Mine is the same way, but she knows that mommy is in charge and when I say no, that means no. Also, try saying things like "no, ouch" or "no, yucky" or "no, hot..cold, etc" and teach her what those words mean, let her touch something hot (not hot enough to hurt) and say hot,
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You cannot spoil a ten month old.

You have to continually take it away take it away take it away. She's not going to understand no without that followup. Basically, this is the point where you're going to spend your time constantly following her and taking things away. That's how it works.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• then let her touch something cold and say "cold" when she puts something in her mouth and it tastes yucky and she makes a face say "that tastes yucky, eww, yucky" and the same with ouch, if she gets hurt, say "ouch" that way she learns to associate the meaning with the word so when you say "no ____" she will know why she shouldn't do it and most likely will not want to even do it anymore and find something new to drive you nuts with, lol. Good luck! Remember, you have to put your foot down to some degree or she will just keep trying to push you and soon she will have the control and you will be on supernanny, lol.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I play with her ALL the time, we play peek a boo, we read books, we play with her toys. Its just me and her all week until daddy comes home on the weekends, so most of the time she just wants me and no one else. And during the day when I am doing the dishes or sorting laundry, shes on the floor playing with her toys, the living room is covered in her toys, shes just not interested, since shes started crawling i can honestly say there is only one toy she likes that is hers and its a piano. I have tried saying no in a stern voice and she will take something away from her mouth that she is attempting to put in but she tries to put it back in. She is very headstrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2009