How to disapline a 10 month old? I never knew it would be like this.

My 10 month old wants to put everything in her mouth and liked to go to the dogs dish and attempt to go swimming, and she wants to pull everything off of the coffee table. I know people who have never had to move anything, how do they do this? And how do you tell your child no or let them know they arent supposed to have something? My DD is SPOILED is every aspect . She crawls really fast when I walk over to her to get something she shouldnt have, she thinks shes faster then me LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• A quick, very loud clap of your hands together coupled with a stern and equally loud "AAAAAA" will startle her enough to get her attention without actually scaring the poop out of her. Then follow it with a very firm "No".

Repetition darlin. Just keep it up. They are little wonders and little terrors sometimes too. I never moved anything, not knick-knacks, vases, flowers, pictures - anything. Just a constantly observant eye and repetition.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You can't. You have to stay on top of her and keep after her and keep the house childproofed. A ten month old cannot understand discipline.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree with qidamate, A ten month old does not understand the word NO....
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Pace myself, these are the things I have been doing, so you think I should just keep doing them. And to everyone else, you cant tell me she doesnt understand it, when i have already taken the remote away a million times and now when i say no and walk towards her to take it she runs with it. LOL she knows what shes doign
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Outside of spatting her hand? Which I wouldn't recommend... yes. Just keep it up... Short story... my son was 5... started exhibiting terrible behavior (just wouldn't mind - ever). Turned out the doctor ($1400 later) told me that my son was more stubborn than I was and that firm, repetitive, constant reinforcement of the rules was the clearest way. He was right. Sometimes they want to make it a game - they want to get you on their side... and they have an endless supply of "try try try"... you just gotta match and beat it with your own endless supply of reinforcement. Yes, she understands no, if you've been using the word as a disciplinary word. You bet she understands.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• LMAO my husband just read this.... he said "Bark at her! That'll get her attention"...... ahhhhhh men always confirm the reason why women are the mothers.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son is doing -exactly- the same thing! We've moved the cat's dish up on the counter, babypoofed the house, and make sure there's nothing destructable within reach... and then we let him go at it! (Within limits, of course.) I try very hard not to rescrict him unless what he is doing would damage a valuable item or harm himself. I would just make sure nothing harmful is within reach, put cushions on the corners of the coffee table, and only bring the dogs food out when they are ready to eat... and relax! Discipline comes later. Let them explore. :)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• As far as getting their attention... I'll get my son's attention, he'll look at me and smile, and then crawl as fast as he can for the item I am trying to keep him from. Lol. It's a cute age, though!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Rule 1 - Lead them not into temptation! If it's tempting, MOVE IT. Seriously, just because some people didn't need to move stuff doesn't mean you don't need to. A child is naturally curious and needs to explore their environment. If you do not want them to break something but still want to allow them to explore, move the breakables. Move the stuff you don't want them to get into and you'll find yourself saying NO a lot less and YES a lot more. This is positive discipline. Also, re-direction. If she is going towards something, get her attention focused on something else she can put in her mouth or look at or explore. Invite her to explore her environment - this is how she learns. You don't want to squash this natural curiosity by constantly telling them NO. You do want them to learn re-direction so as they get older, they will learn how to re-direct themselves through internal controls. Good luck and move the stuff!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Right now she is just exploring. Don't discipline her for that..

You just gotta move everything that you don't want her to get into.. or make an obstacle..
    It gets easier don't worry LOL
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009