Painting around little ones..

I've been wanting to repaint my living room forever but have been waiting for a really warm day and night so I can have my house all opened up. My son is almost 3 and I'm wondering...is it safe to paint with your toddler in the house? We use only no VOC paint but I still don't know the answer. If not, what the heck do you do with your kids while you paint? I only have one sitter, my mom, and she lives in a small duplex so she babysits here at my house.

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 12:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I just recently painted my little boy room. He is 3. We let him help paint. I got one of my husbands old shirts and put that on him. Gave him a paint brush and let him paint the walls. He just loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Brody is pretty easily amused, so I would just put on what he likes as far as music , give him some good toys to keep him amused, and get on with it. Because he is autistic , I wouldnt let him help paint, I know how mouthy our kids tend to be and I wouldnt want him chewing on a paintbrush , or roller. Maybe enlisting grandma to stay in the house with you in case he gets fussy and upset would be a good idea, so she can take over and you can continue working. As Long as you have great ventilation and you use one of the eco friendly lines of paints carried by home depot or lowes, the B man should be fine in the house while you paint. Its fine to paint in the house with anyone so long as you open windows and doors and make sure you use a fan or ceiling fan to move the air around. Have fun. Wish I had moved already , I would help ya.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 5:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Tape him to one spot in the room and paint around him. You can move him and paint that spot when the room dries.

You'll be fine, babe. :)
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 8:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• So the fumes are okay? That's really what I was the most worried about. Erika do you have some duct tape I can borrow? Hehe.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 9:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• vanilla supposedly removes the paint smell. but if you are going to have the place really well ventilated (which it sounds you are) then he should be ok. I would put a fan blowing the smell right out doors though because I HATE the smell of wet paint.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:15 PM on Mar. 30, 2009