How to get my 11 almost 12 mos old to stop hitting and pulling my hair?

I am not sure why or where he learning about hitting and pulling hair but he only does it to me and no one else. I pay a lot of attention to him so it can't be begging for attention. He laughs when he does it and a lot of times it is too cute that I end up laughing. I always try not to laugh because it is not good and makes them do it more but the look he gets on his face is what gets me. Sometimes I also get frustrated. I always take his hand and tell him gentle and that is not nice. I am not sure what to do.

dmeh23

Asked by dmeh23 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter went through that stage right around the same time, too. I know what you mean, it is kind of funny, but you don't want to laugh and encourage it!! I was the same way! Try taking his hand, and FIRMLY saying "gentle. That is not nice" in a serious voice (NOT laughing voice) - and in a tone that is different from the regular mommy voice - he may still laugh but be consistent about it. With my daughter, I did that about 20 times before I finally just ignored her when she did it. I would take her hand off of my hair, and would put it back down at her side - without even looking at her. Eventually she just got bored with it, and stopped - but it felt like forever before it finally got old to her.
    Babykayks710

Answer by Babykayks710 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Heheh... my son is going through this at 9 1/2 months old. I just try to put him down and ignore him every time it happens. It's too soon to tell the results though. It -is- funny and cute though! But it does get old fast.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• All five of my kids did this.I would tell them "no that hurts" and put them back down on the floor.It doesnt take them long to realize mommy wont hold me if i do this
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2009