Is 2 1/2 too young for...

a big bed? I can't seem to get my dd to fall asleep without laying in her room for at least 2 hours! Somebody please tell me there is an easier way to do this. Thanks.

KaceesMom

Asked by KaceesMom at 12:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Gosh, no...as long as you think she's ready, then by all means, go for it! Usually they can transition from a crib to a toddler or twin size bed around the age of 2. If you don't use a toddler bed and go straight for a twin size, make sure you get some type of bed rails to help keep her from falling out of the bed.

If you have a toddler bed for her, side rails are very hard to find in the stores...as MOST are made for twin size beds. You may be able to find some online though. HTH and good luck!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 12:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No, definately not. My daughter never would sleep in a baby bed, she was nine months old before she finally slept thru the nite. One night my MIL was babysitting her and laid her in the playpen for bed.-she slep thru the nite for the very first time. We discovered, in her early years, that she was extremely claustophobic.

They need their space too! Anyway, yeah, I remember those nites of falling to sleep, while waiting for her to sleep. Always bedtime stories and mom falling asleep first!

Cherish it though- It just doesn't last very long!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My boys were in a regular bed at 15 months, so I'm going to say she's not too young.

As for getting her to sleep on her own...sorry, no help. We've just always put them to bed and they went to sleep (play or talk in bed sometimes..but only for a bit)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I can't tell from your question... are you asking if she's too young because you're trying the big bed and it's not working? (You have to spend 2 hours getting her to go to sleep in a big girl bed?) Or are you thinking of making the transition because she's not sleeping well in a crib?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• NO MY DD IS 2 1/2 BUT SHE WAS 18 MONTHS WHEN WE GOT HER A TWIN BED AND ITS SO MUCH BETTER YOU CAN LAY WITH HER TILL SHE FALLS ASLEEP, THE ONLY BAD THING IS IF SHE MAKES A MESS IN HER BED ITS MORE BEDDING TO WASH BUT STILL ITS WORTH IT! WE NEVER HAD TO GET RAILS BECAUSE SHE CLINGS TO THE WALL SO DEPENDING ON HOW YOUR DD SLEEPS I WOULD GET RAILS!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2009