Binkies

how can i get my baby to stop using it

avahsmommie

Asked by avahsmommie at 12:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• tough love hunnie, take that thing. I would hate to see your child walking around at 2 or 3 with it, and it causes speech delays
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I am slowly working on this with my son. I no longer encourage the binkie when he fussy. I always try a toy first of simply playing with him. This seems to be working for the day time, he is actually losing interest in them. The night, well I haven't figured that one out yet.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• depends on the age. I start weaning my kids off at 9 months, and first I take it away while they are happy, they get it back if they're grumpy, hurt, or going to bed. Then that gets changed to hurt or going to bed, and by a year or slightly after, in bed only. My boys spit it out as soon as they fall asleep, so after that I just leave it until they're ready to give it up, I figure the ten minutes until they fall asleep plus a minute or so here and there in the middle of the night if they wake up isn't going to hurt anything. And nobody sees them walking around with it, because it stays in their room. My oldest gave it up completely at 3 1/2. It's a comfort object, if you take it away, they'll want you for that comfort instead, so you may spend a LOT more time cuddling. And a lot more time up at night.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• We just took them away. After a couple of rough nights it was all over.

We took it away at 13 months, 10 months and 4 months for a variety of reasons.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I just let mine out grow it. My first only used one at night after he was a year and gave it up on his own between 2 & 3. It didn't hurt anything and since he only used it during sleep it wasn't a big deal.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2009