Make-Believe-Friends?

Ok, so I have a 2 1/2 year old and he started having a friend that is a monster. he likes the monster..he says he is a good and nice monster. He talks to him, he tells me what he's wearing and everything. he lives behind our couch..lol. and his name is Pokey. I dont know why or how this happens. but, is it bad?! Its a little strange cause he gets upset if i dont talk to pokey also! He feeds and kisses pokey and gives him hugs, like a normal person. I just dont know if this is good. what do you think???

alc03

Asked by alc03 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol, im wondering the same thing. my daughter who is 3 started using her imagination very creatively like your son whn she was also about 2. i kinda thought it was early for some1 her age to do so... i wake up in stores that i never knew were in my room, cars that i never see are parked in the living room, all kinds of kids come over and have snack that i cant taste...lol, wht is this about.??? thanx 4 letting me know im not alone.
    heck i say give Pokey a hug 2... maybe he'll be the best friend you never had. ;)
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 1:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• LOL, this is not only normal, it's healthy! He is expanding his imagination beautifully! Don't start worrying unless he's like, 8 and Pokey's still around, LOL.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• LOL My 5 year old has had an imaginary friend for years...it's a mouse. He even takes part of his breakfast and breaks it up tiny to feed the mouse. But apparently, the mouse doesn't go to school with him, so no interfering with his social life so far! rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• LOL! My son is almost 4 and still have imaginary Good Monster friends. Sometimes bad monsters too, bute we throw those outside until they are ready to come back as Good monsters. At 2 1/2, my son also started with inviting lots of animals friends inside - I remember an alligator he "shot" and hurt, but then apologized and asked if the alligator wanted to be his friend - he stuck around a few week, but happily left shortly after! This is totally normal, even the "monster" part. And by all means, talk to Pokey, accept him as family! My son likes to have me tell his "friends" what he (my son) is doing, so we have constant dialogue with his imaginary friends (stuffed, plastic and invisible).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• lol....it's very normal and very healthy.....my dd is 7 and still does this.....although her "friends" are based on real people....lol....her faves are hannah montana (of course!.....lol) and carrie underwood.....lol.....she also has different voices for each of her friends when she plays.....lol....she has a wonderful imagination and i just love listening to her play!!!.....ds is 3 and hasn't really started that.....he has a pretty good imagination too....i think his "friends" will show up in time.....lol....for now....just enjoy playing along.....lol

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 10:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• its normal and its a good thing to have an imaginary friend
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My 4 yo has had an imaginary grandmother for a while now... in fact, it's grown to an entire imaginary family with extra brothers and sisters =) Don't worry about it... it's normal for kids to have imaginary friends. Just be glad that he has an active imagination.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It's very normal. You have a young child. Don't make too big of a deal out of it but go along with it too. Now if he is 10 and still doing this, then come back and talk :) hehe.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• lol my 4 year old has 4 yes 4 friends, two of whom are bad kids but she loves them anyway because no one else does. i just go along with it, unless she's like 10 and they are still here. yes they have names too
    Goddy, Ma-dee, Macy, and one other one don't remember right now.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:16 PM on Mar. 30, 2009