not safe to travel without a heartbeat?

i'm about 15 weeks pregnant, but havent heard a heartbeat yet. i'm visiting family in maine and wanted to fly back to north carolina where i live with my husband, but i heard you shouldnt fly if you havent heard a heartbeat by now because it may not be safe. is that true?

MarineWife0327

Asked by MarineWife0327 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Travel

• Not that I know of....I know you're not supposed to in your third trimester
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 1:37 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Nope your fine... its just not safe from 36-40 weeks because of how close you'd be and how much higher risk you'd be for blood clots
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I have never heard of such a thing. I do not see why it would make any type of difference whether you have heard the heartbeat or not. There is no danger in flying until you are getting closer to the end of the pregnancy. I just cannot undrestand what the thought process might be when someone made this statement. Go and visit your family and everything will be fine. You and your baby will be fine.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I haven't heard of that. Are you being seen at the Naval or out in town? I would ask your Dr. to be sure, but I think it would be fine.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• **if you haven't been seen yet, the Crist Clinic is wonderful & you get to see the same midwife/Dr. most of the time, unlike the Naval. You don't have to be seen on base, just contact Tricare.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Ive never heard of that.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would be more concerned that you have not heard a heart beat by 15 weeks then the flying theng. i can not believe your doc has not said anything about not hearing a heartbeat yet. anyway your best bet would be to ask your doc if it is ok to fly. I don't see a problem with it as you are early in your pregnancy.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i agree with the others, this would be the best time to travel rather than later in your pregnancy..

at this point you are lower risk.
    Anonymous

• Please see below. Hate to worry you but I also think you should be able to hear the heartbeat by now.
    After the 9th or 10th week after your last menstrual period, you might be able to hear your baby's heartbeat at your prenatal appointment. Your obstetrical practitioner probably uses a Doppler instrument for this purpose, which bounces harmless sound waves off the fetal heart. The way the sound comes back is affected by motion, so a beating heart creates a change in the sound that can be picked up by the receiver in the Doppler. Whether you actually hear the heartbeat at 9 or 10 weeks depends partly on luck-the instrument must be placed at just the right angle. It also depends on the position of your uterus, and if you're slim or heavy. By the 12th week, the heartbeat can usually be heard consistently, using the Doppler instrument for amplification.
    Found on:
    http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,9851,00.html
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009