HORRIBLE ANXIETY. PLEASE HELP!!

I have always had anxiety but never used any medication and it was never really bad for meds. After having my second daughter almost 5 mos. ago it got worse. Now it's hard to go to the store, go outside to smoke, even eat or feed liliana, etc. It affects my every day life. I get little attacks it seems like no matter what I am doing. I don't want to get put on meds. because I am breastfeeding but I am at a loss for what to do. I know this negatively effects her, though. Can anyone give me any advice, please. I need help. Thank you.

Kitty0907

Asked by Kitty0907 at 1:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I feel for you, it sounds aweful to be going through this right now. I know anxiety can be part of the symptoms associated with post partum but if it's the only one you have then you are probably just that, anxious. My mother suffered from dehabilitating panic attacks and was put on anti-anxietants. I was told there are certain pills that are safe when you are breastfeeding and they only enter the milk minimally. It's definitely a mothers choice whether to use them because there are only minor studies to show if they affect the baby later in life. Another alternative for you, and it may seem hard because of the anxiety is cognitive therapy. It can really help you figure out why you have the thoughts you do. That can help you figure out why you are anxious to begin with and sometimes that can aid you in moving forward towards a more normal life. I definitely recommend talking to your doctor. You will get past this!
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 1:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Cognitive behavioral therapy is a great way to handle anxiety without the use of medications. In this thread I explain a bit on how to use CBT (last page of replies) and reference a great book. If you would like any additional information or if I can help in anyway please drop me a line.  I understand I too have been there.  They are starting to debilitate you so it is time to fight back.  You can do it!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/8405916/I_think_I_killed_her_okay_its_a_help_me_with_anxiety_post_sry_for_the_lie_but_I_needed_some_advice?next=21#replies

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Get an appointment with your doctor or OB, and try to surround yourself with positive friends/family. Ask your doctor if Zoloft is an option for you; many say it is safe while breastfeeding - however, the #1 side effect is GI upset. Prayers for you - best wishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009