• In the Spotlight:

at what age can i do this

at what age do you find it okay to feed a baby rice cereal or oatmeal with thier bottles ... my son is going on 4 months old and wakes up 1 or two times a night to eat and i want to introduce him to something that will keep him full longer or help him sleep longer

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's about the right age. Give him a little at night before bed, with about two ounces of formula. Just start out small, you don't want him to get constipated.
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 1:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I seem to recall reading that unless a baby can hold his/her head up on their own they shouldn't be introduced to foods. I'm not 100% certain on that but it would definitely be something I would ask my ped.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 1:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I believe you can give rice cereal around 4 months, and oatmeal shortly thereafter. Make sure you poke more holes in the nipple of the bottle - or get the next size up - I made that mistake w/ my daughter and couldn't figure out why she was sucking it and didn't seem to be getting anything out! sounds silly, but definitely something you may not be thinking about at 3am!
    Babykayks710

Answer by Babykayks710 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Ohhhh, did you mean putting cereal in the bottle? No, I wouldn't do that. I always spoon fed my kids, always.
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 1:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No! Do not its in the like pediatrics articles or some sort of dr association. baby's bodies and their organs are not fully developed and aren't meant to start eating foods like that until at LEAST 6 months if you want him to sleep longer why don't you try formula before cereal it will take longer to digest and make them fuller longer or try giving him a warm bath before bed.. let him kick around and play and then take him out let him cry for a while while you dry him off... like he can scream his head off and just take your time and put the baby powder on and get some bed time lotion thats 'proven to help them sleep better' it smells really good.. and then just lotion him up really good and give him a long massage.. it doesn't matter if he doesn't like it let him scream.. he's not hurt... and then get him in something warm.. swaddle him .. give him his bottle.. like 3-4 oz.. and then lay him down.. tell me if it doesn't wor
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I don't think it's ever okay to put it in their bottle. And it's not okay to introduce your child to solids before their digestive system is ready to handle it just so they will sleep a little longer. Not trying to sound mean, I just don't think babies shoudl be pushed to things because of our convenience.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 2:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• In a bottle? Never, unless directed by a doctor for reflux. If baby cannot take it on a spoon, baby's not ready for it. Cereal i a bottle is a choking risk. And contrary to popular belief...it doesn't make them sleep. They do that when they're good and ready. Cereal can actualy make them wake MORE.

Sorry, but one of the things in the Mommy Contract is the "no sleep" clause. Teeny tiny fine print that guarantees you don' get eight hours again till you're in your grave. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• You "can" whenever you want to. Is it recommended to put it in a bottle? No, not unless under the direction of a doctor. However, 4-6 months is okay from a bowl with a spoon. It's not going to "make" him sleep any longer.

Babies don't usually sleep through at this age anyway. He's only waking once or twice, count yourself lucky. Some are still waking more.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son eats cereal IN HIS BOTTLE! and he is fine and fuller, now while I don't think it will help him sleep all night, it will help him stay fuller for a little while. My son sleeps thru the night but its because he has a heating pad underneath some of his blankets and sheets! he has to have that heat to sleep well. ( 4months) & countin
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 8:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It is a MYTH that cerial in the bottle makes them sleep longer.....its just that when they get to that age, 4 to 6 months, they start sleeping longer usually and most folks think its the food that does it but its just the baby developing!

I NEVER put anything in a baby bottle for my kids, well, my kids never got a bottle, they would never take one, only breastmilk straight from the tap :) but if I were using bottles I never would have put cerial in there, it can choke the baby :(
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2009