Will my chiwawa attack my baby if he dosent like the attention given to her?

My dog gets very very protective of me when people are around. When people walk fast towards me or raise their hands too quickly around me he will attack them and bite hard, what if the baby crys or moves fast will he attack her? HELP! I dont want to get rid of my dog so how do I get him used to the new baby?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 1:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pets

• You need to find a dog trainer to modify your dog's aggression problems. The fact that your dog has been allowed to bite people means that he has no idea that it's the wrong thing to do. Contact your vet and ask for a recommendation for a trainer who specializes in behavior modification.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would think that could be a potentially dangerous situation, yes. I, myself, would not risk it. Can you find a family member to take the dog for you?

Here is why.. Most people wait until something happens, then they want to kill the dog... Why risk that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• dogs can normally sense a baby. and are gentle but idk. i agree try to find a family member.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepagetopstory/stories/mesa-local-news-030509-dog-kills-baby.5ca87c1.html

I can't say what you should do either way. But if you really don't trust the dog you should consider finding him a new home. It would be too risky. Just google "baby killed by dog" this is just one story of many.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I have a question. Why was that kind of behavior allowed to continue in the first place? Aggression is never acceptable behavior. No matter the size of the dog. A lot of people think it's cute or funny when little dogs do this, but let a big dog do it and they freak out.

Now, when the little dog/child size ratio is comparable to that of a big dog and an adult, it's a problem? You should really have thought of that before and punished the dog for displaying that kind of behavior towards any human from the very beginning.

The cardinal rule of dogdom: Never, Ever, put your teeth on a human. This is a rule that all dogs should be raised to obey.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would not trust your dog. Even the most gentlest of dogs could react around a baby or child. They must be highly supervised. I also agree with anonymous. This behavior should have been corrected a long time ago.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Just a little response to anonymous. The article about those children is a terrible tragedy. My neighbors own chows and they said they would never recommend a chow around children, that they can be tempermental. That is so sad.
    Anonymous

• We had a very gentle dog who became aggressive towards the baby when we came home from the hospital. I loved her so much but we had to get rid of her - I was terrified to even bring the baby downstairs. Your dog is already aggressive so there's a higher probability that she will misbehave with the baby. Do you really want to risk your newborn being bitten? You can try some hardcore obedience training, but if that doesn't work, I'd get rid of the dog, no matter how much you love her. Your child has to come first.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 3:29 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Maybe. My mother had a poodle that would bark at me and try to nudge me out of her lap when I was a baby.
    Anonymous

• Typically, dogs know that it's a baby...my mom has a chihuahua that can be nasty little thing, but most of them are but when I bring DD around she is very gentle. She just doesn't like to be pulled on. Little dogs are much less tolerant than big dogs usually. So you don't need to get rid of your dog. That\s your first baby. I have 2 pitbulls for crying out loud. most people would freak out to have that kind of a dog around a baby, but those people are just misinformed and uneducated. As long as you don't leave your baby alone with ANY dog you will be fine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:27 PM on Mar. 30, 2009