How do I know for sure?? Breastfeeding...

My baby is 4 weeks old and she finally started breastfeeding this wee. I notice though that she only sucks for 5-10 minutes on one breast at the most before she falls asleep. She usually wakes up within an hour or two at the most for more. I put her on the other breast for this session and the same process ensues. I usually get 4 diapers in 24 hrs plus maybe one bm in 36 hours. When I pumped the most I would get was 2 oz but when I formula fed her she would take up to 3-4 oz. Is she getting enough or should I wake her and top her up with formula to be sure?? Will she ever go longer between feedings? How much milk should I be producing at 4 weeks old. I was told 6 oz or more so I'm worried I'm not producing enough milk.

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is the age old question, almost every new momma asks. Your baby is capable of getting more milk out of your breast than a pump. Her little mouth was designed for it, lol. She's only 4 weeks old, yes she will go longer before feedings. Before you know it, it goes so quick. Do not ever, ever wake a sleeping baby, ugh, sometimes they won't go back down. Rest assured, you are probably providing her enough milk. You are obviously supplementing, and I did the same. This could slow her BM down. A breastfed baby poops more often than a formua fed baby, and is hungry more often because breast milk digests easier. As long as she's gaining weight she's fine. Don't worry!! You're doing everything right
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 1:45 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Both my kids are the same way. My kids would eat for maybe 5-10 minutes and then be done. I was told by the doctors as long as baby is not crying after she is done eating then she is ok. My daughter is almost 3 years old and no problems. They will let you know when they are hungry again. Just hang in there and she will start going longer between feedings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• BM is *usually* digested in about 90 minutes, so her sleep/wake patterns seem right on. The fact that your baby is content and sleeping after a feeding is a good sign. If she were not getting enough to satisfy her hunger, she most likely wouldn't be sleeping at all for you. How full are her diapers? Soaked dipes count as 2 (assuming your using disposables). I don't know where you heard that you should be making 6oz by the time your baby is 4 weeks old, because BFing is supply and demand. Not ALL BF babies demand 6 ounces, and certainly not at 4 weeks. Their tummies are still really little. My daughter is 8 months old, and she hardly ever takes more than 4 ounces of pumped BM (I work full time and pump while i'm away). The messy dipe situation is good. BF babies can go a lot longer without one than their FF counterparts. You're doing great mama, just keep believing in yourself!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I also forgot to add that pumping is NEVER an indication of how much milk you're making. Your daughter will remove MORE milk from the breast than your pump will ever be able to.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What you pump is MEANINGLESS. Don't even bother. Really. Just nurse ON DEMAND, no timing. For the time being I would wake her to nurse a little more often, till you get up to 6-8 dipes a day.

If you want to nurse, NO FORMULA. The low dipe count indicates your supply isn't up to par and the ONLY way to get it there is to nurse nurse nurse. Put the pump away for now and leave baby on the brast.

When you start pumping again, look for only two ounces a session. Six is mega-over-acheiving and most women will never get that much.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree with the above poster, just nurse your baby, on demand, that is the BEST way to up your milk supply!
    A pump is never as good as a baby at the breast! Baby will remove more milk!
    Good luck to you, just listen to babys cues and NURSE!!!!!!!!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009