Is this normal?

My son has always wanted to be with his Auntie, my sister, since he was an infant. He is now almost three, he dosen't want to go anywhere with me unless his Auntie goes. Infact his first word was "Auntie".

I am at my wits end with his tatrums when she leaves, I have never heard of a child being this attached to someone, unless it was a parent.

Am I just crazy?

issayaustin

Asked by issayaustin at 1:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• sounds like he bonded with her more than you...
    pringles_697

Answer by pringles_697 at 1:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• wow.. i have never heard of that.. but you need to get on those tantrums or they will get worse.. and make your sister tell him not to treat you like that if she leaves .. or something.. use her to your advantage
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Sorry, but I have to disagree w/ jan0609. You, not your sister, need to set rules for him. He needs to be weened off her. Explain the situation to your sister, ask her not to come around for a while , a couple of weeks. Then slowly "reintroduce" her to your nephew. Have her come over. She can hug him, but not be overly affectionate. Have her show just a little interest, without ignoring him completely or going overboard.

Aunts get to have lots of fun with our little ones, and when they leave we get to clean up the mess.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 2:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• This is not a bad thing. Obviously the child is attached to the aunt. Must be one great aunt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I was exactly the same way with my Aunt Linda. I even started to call her "Mommy." She actually left our town for awhile because her and my mom were at odds over it. I love and am close to my mom and I still love my aunt. Good luck, wish I had some good advice for you.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My daughter was like this with my mom. Its natural for kids to be attached to grandparents but this was different it was like you explained. As the other poster stated it was because when my daughter was very young my mom would intervene and do more for her than she would allow me to do (because she thought I was too young too know what to do). They formed that motherly bond that I should have had with her. As they get older the harder it will be to break. Kids always will recognize that first motherly bond no matter who it is with. You have to slowly ween him from her without damaging their relationship. Its kind of hard to do that without hurting feelings and him understanding at his age.You definitely dont want to stop him from seeing her and vice versa but maybe just spend more quality time with you. This is a tough one.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 6:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My sisters little boy is like that actually with his grandmother, he is 5 and he will pitch a compleate fit if he has to go home with his mother. My sis had him at a young age and my mother helped watch him since he was born while my sister went to school and things. Now that she is stable to raise him he doesnt really want to go home.. She has called my crying before cause she feels like a bad mother, i just tell her that you had him young and you didnt quit school and you had to do what you had to do to give him the best life possible,he has been getting better with staying with her he stays at her house with her on the weekends and sometimes during the week when she is off work. My daughter used to be like that with my mother too but we moved away before things got too bad. lol. All I can say is just stat gradually keeping them apart. Just take it one day at a time. Good Luck!
    3greatkids751

Answer by 3greatkids751 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i have a daughter thats 9 yrs and one thats 29yrs and one that 23yrs well the 29yr old was in college when she came around(thats one of the reason why she came around way to much time)but she adores my 23 yr old.at the begiining it was good she lived at home and she saw her everyday.wel she has since gotten her career and moved my daughter is still devestated and doenst understand why she doesnt spend more time with her. ya maybe keep the aunt away for a while and rebound with him.tell the aunt it has nothing to do with her.
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it is extremely normal.

You should see my daughter when her "nana" (grandma) leaves.....
    I think if it is really bothering you though, you should talk to your child's aunt about it.
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009