how do i get my son to take a bottle

I just had my son at the doctors for his 9 month check up and they told me he is under weight. This is the same thing I was told about my daughter at this age, I think it just runs in the family. Well the doctor ask me how much milk does he drink at each feeding but my son is breestfed so I have no clue how many ounces he drinks. The doctor wants me to pump so I can see how much he eats but my problem is my son is a little monster and will not drink milk from the bottle or sippy cup. He will drink juice from a sippy cup and eats like 4 jars of baby food a day. Can anyone give me any advice on how to get him to take a bottle?

hosein

Asked by hosein at 2:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow 9 months.. um... have you had dad try holding him and feeding him a bottle.. like in the position he'd be if he was breast feeding..?
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Oh yes dad has tried and also grandma but no luck. He used to take a bottle when he was younger when we would go out I would pump but we have been staying home more so I guess I just got lazy and it is easier to just feed instead of pump.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 2:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The only way I think it could happen is by mixing the milk with the juice. Add a small amount of milk and increase each day. Ew right?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:36 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Um. Actually, I'd question the doc on the underweight bit. You're looking for a mere pound a month gain. If doc used any kind of chart, disregard the advice. Your milk is the BEST fattening agent...and what's taken in a bottle does NOT give doc ANY indication of what's being taken at the breast.

I have a feeling all you need is a different doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah I'd be questioning the under weight thing too. If the baby is hitting other developmental milestones then his weight is probably not affecting him much. I can only give you my honest opinion here and that is that your doctor is using a subtle way of getting you to wean your son. My reasoning for this is that if he were actually worried about it he would weigh your son, have you feed him, and then weigh him again. Breast pumps DO NOT work the same way as the baby does and you will not get as much out if you pump as your son does while nursing. Please at least look into getting a different doc. Call around and ask SPECIFICALLY (sad that you have to) if they are pro-bfing. Believe it some will say that they only support the breast for 6 months. Even if all you do is consult with one of these doctors I think you will be doing yourself, and you son a great favor. Your son needs BM way more than imitation powered crap.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 4:06 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Don't give him a bottle. Pump and put it in a sippy cup. Why take a step back? He's using a cup, keep up with that. I agree that you might have to have someone else give it to him, though. He knows YOU come with a tap! lol

A better (?) way to do it is to weigh him, feed him then weigh him again. I don't understand why the doctor didn't tell you to do this instead of pumping. Pumps aren't as good at getting the milk out as the baby is....hell, even I know that and I'm a mostly formula feeding mom!

Have you tried giving table foods? There's more calories and nutrition in table foods than in baby food.

Is he "underweight" for the average child his age, or underweight for HIM? Where is he on his growth curve? Still following it or dropping in percentiles? Where is he when his height is figured in? Is he recently more active and burning more calories?

There's just so much more to it than simply weighing him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My first child, my daughter, was exclusivly breastfed and she NEVER took a bottle or had formula, I nursed her for 18 months....she was just always on the small size and even now as a 7 year old she is a skinny mini little thing with a tiny waist....BUT, she was always healthy, even as a baby, always was plenty hydrated and had plenty of wet diapers.....as long as your baby is having plently of wet diapers and is healthy then they are getting plenty to drink....I cant get over why doctors are SO concerned with knowing exactly, to the ounce, how much a baby is drinking.....just follow your motherly instincts mama, you know best!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would definitely question the underweight thing. Once they start crawling, their growth slows down and when they start walking, it definitely slows down or some babies even loose a little because of all the calories they burn. I will probably come across the same thing at my son's 1 yr checkup because he will have only gained 2.5 pounds since his 9 month checkup, but he started walking at 8 months behind a toy and on his own at 9 months, so he has been none stop moving ever since and still eats like a horse.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What you pump is NEVER an indication of what baby gets from the breast. I'd question the dx and probably find a new doctor.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2009