Is it ok to switch to breast milk after using formula?

My daughter is a week old, and I REALLY wanted to breast feed, or even pump so that she'll have the best. Well, I just got my milk in, but had been using formula for the last week. Is it ok to switch to breast milk after using formula?

Laylas_Mommy09

Asked by Laylas_Mommy09 at 2:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yes, I gave my son formula until my milk came in. He had no problem switching to breastmilk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes, I did it with both of my babies. With my last baby, I couldn't decide how I wanted to feed. She took formula for about two weeks and then I decide I wanted to breastfeed. It took her a little while to figure out how to latch on, but she eventually got it and has been nursing ever since.
    actress

Answer by actress at 2:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Breastmilk is always better. Better late then never. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:53 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Of course it is.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It's very OK!!! I don't know why women feel they have to formula feed until their milk comes in, your body produces colostrum. Well I guess that can be disrupted by c-sections, but for the most case there is still something there for the baby. When formula is the first thing in their stomachs it can cause problems, even later on in life. The colostrum is important for helping the baby to pass the meconium.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 4:01 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Absolutely!!

Good luck with the changeover.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 6:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yep, and for the next baby there is no need to formula feed at all while waiting for your milk to come in.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yes Do it!! More power to you!! Great job!
    Ashlynsmommy06

Answer by Ashlynsmommy06 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• SURE!!!! Go for it mama!
    and like a few other posters said, formula really isnt needed in the beginning, you make colostrum which is SO good for tiny babies, its nick named liquid gold!

jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• absolutely!! :) i breast feed my daughter and give her formula if i'm out.
    Kitty0907

Answer by Kitty0907 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2009