What is your opinion of mothers who choose to work full-time even though they don't need to financially?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• MHO is that they really haven't taken into full account how it's going to affect their kids. I have seen it first hand. I was the only child of two parents who worked full time on staggered shifts and I hardly ever remember time with my mom because she just wasn't there for me. I never felt really close with her growing up and now she's dead and my kids can't have her either.

With my SIL she put her job ahead of her kids, they are really messed up in the head. Her daughter is 15 and has never had a close friend and constantly wants babied, and her 11 y.o. son eats to fill the gap he has because he doesn't feel loved by his parents. Neither one participate in activities b/c they don't want to be away from mom and dad. They start and drop out.

It affects kids more than adults realize! I made a decision before I got married to be a SAHM while my kids were little and I'm glad I did. I'll never regret it.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 9:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think it is their choice. My husband makes great money, but I worked when I met him and I continue to work now. It is my choice, but the money I make is my spending money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Not my place to judge. I know that personally, I didn't like staying home. My son didn't like it either. I was cutting into his social life!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I honestly don't have an opinion of a person unless they're doing something with horrible detriment to their children, themselves or their families.

Contrary to what I'm shocked to find many people believe, the mother is not the slave of the home. Having children should not mean that the mother ceases to exist as a person on her own and that all of her dreams, aspirations and activities she enjoys should be thrown out the window. A family functions beautifully when EVERY member of the family is nutured and considered. If this means that a mother enjoys her work and wants to work, then good for her! If a woman can go to work, earn extra savings for her family (there's always need in the future, how can you never truly need more money if not for savings, college or emergencies?) and still help her partner (I believe in 50/50 marriages, the mother is not the slave of the house) run the household, more power to her.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would respect and admire that woman. She has choosen not to rely on her significant other for finacial stability. She has proven to be her own woman. More women should do this.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i think she is doing everything to make sure that their child has everything they will ever need. i admire her. i think its awesome and shows independence
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I love how NovemberLove put it. I don't work full time, but I do work outside the home, and I get so tired of self-righteous SAHMs that condemn women for choosing to help provide for their families. I love my job. My daughter loves her daycare. We're happy. We're well adjusted.

What was that college education for if I just stay home all day when that's not what I want to do? If you, as a parent, want to stay home with your children, and your husband can support your family, and everyone in your home feels this is best, then by all means stay home. But, there is no reason why every woman should be the exact same, and raise her children in the exact same way.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:23 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think she has every right to work. Staying home isn't for everyone.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:33 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I personally think that is selfish. Mothers should be home raising their children, especially if the children are small. You asked for opinions and that's mine.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I'm a SAHM. I choose to be. I think the same thing about them that I think about other SAHM's that I know - to each their own.

I would rather a woman work and be happy, and provide for their kids - meaning not just money, but love, spending time with them, genuinely liking their kids, involved in their lives, etc, than them staying home because they think they "should", and then they're miserable, they resent their kids, they don't want to do things with them, etc.

Btw, how would this be different than, say, a man who had a lot of money but chooses to keep working? Is he still a good dad? Imo, I think so.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2009