Question for Atheists.................

Do you think there will come a time when humankind will evolve past the belief in God? If not, do you think the belief in God has evolutionary purpose (rather than existing merely as a byproduct)? If so, what benefits do you think will accompany such a radical global transition?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are scientists who think they have found the part of the brain that causes a person to need a belief in a higher power. They found this part of the brain is more active in believers than in atheists. I think belief in God used to be a good think and was favored by evolution. Our self-awareness made us understand that we are all going to die and that the world is not a very pleasant place. We needed something to keep our self-preservation instinct in tact. Religion (belief in an afterlife) does that. I believe many people NEED religion, even today...and some don't. It just isn't that important to survival anymore. I don't know if atheism will ever become a majority...although it is in some European countries (Sweden is 85% atheist/agnostic). I don't know if ALL parts of the world will follow.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I really don't think the world will be around long enough for it to matter. Man will destroy the world not God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• All things considered, *if* we (the human race) are around long enough to see anything even remotely like that happen, I don't think it would be getting away from belief in god. I think it would be getting away from organized religion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Wow, I find this question fascinating . . . I can't wait to see some of the responses.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Like the Anonymous above, I think that organized religion will start to dwindle. I don't think that everyone will stop believing in God. My hope is that more people will begin to think outside the church.

I don't know if God has an evolutionary purpose but I think God is a way to understand the hard to explain. There will always be people who need that.
    Imaginaryfriend

Answer by Imaginaryfriend at 8:49 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The belief in a higher power seems to have its origins in explaining the unexplainable. As science progresses, and we are able to explain what seem to be "miracles," I think that we, as a whole, will have less reliance on religion. For instance, many used to believe that debilitating diseases were a punishment from God, and that somehow the person suffering did something to deserve it. Now we know that there are numerous factors, from genetics to exposure, that determine whether a disease will affect someone. By the same token, people used to believe that when someone was cured of a disease that it was a blessing and a miracle. Now we know that many fatal conditions were due to bacterial infections which are now treated with antibiotics.

Once more and more "mystery" is taken out of our existence, the reliance on a higher power will diminish as we have explained our world to ourselves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Do you think there will come a time when humankind will evolve past the belief in God?

I hope so!  But it certainly won't be in our lifetime.

If so, what benefits do you think will accompany such a radical global transition?

Global co-operation without religious interference could accomplish many great things like abolishing poverty, protecting endangered species, slowing the spread of disease and expanding our exploration of space.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• What do you guys think about the flaws that have been found in the carbon-dating system used today and the scientific errors made when doing archaeological/paleontological digs?

Not starting anything, just wanted an atheists perspective ;-).
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• This is the OP, jenijune, can you please keep you questions to the Athiest population out of my post? If you'd like an Athiests perspective ask for it (with your own question) like I did. I would prefer to keep this post on topic. Thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009