My son has never had a cavity and is now getting his permanent teeth....

but they are coming up GRAY and look disgusting. Does anybody know why this could be? He brushes his teeth 2x a day and doesn't eat very much candy and drinks plenty of milk.

I'm calling the dentist asap tommorrow, but just wanted to hear some others thoughts:) Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Did you give your child a lot of bottled water without flouride in it? The reason I ask is because my daughter was born in Italy and she drank bottled water for her formula and the lack of flouride caused her teeth to grow in grayish and the back ones have decayed a bit and she's only 7. She is OCD about brushing her teeth too. I took her to a pediodontist and he says he sees that a lot in children who did not get enough flouride. The flouride in the toothpaste is not enough to stop the teeth from growing in looking discolored. When my daughter first got her front teeth and they were gray and yellowish, I thought it was from not brushing, but they grew in that way.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i have no idea... i have never heard of that before... try to get that apt. a.s.a.p... do they hurt him at all?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• No they don't hurt at all and like I said he has great teeth, well at least his baby teeth are white and cavity free. His permanent teeth look really gross-it's all very bizzarre!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• are they full grown in?? i dunno... that IS weird...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I think taking him to the dentist is a great idea.
    My girls began seeing the dentist when they were two years old. There are pediatric dentists who know how to work with young children and they don't really do anything other than check the condition of the teeth and gums, but it begins a new process in the child's life so they become comfortable with going to the dentist every six months instead of when something is wrong.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son has great teeth as well. When his first permanent tooth was coming up, it looked really yellow, almost like smoker's teeth look after they've smoked for yrs and yrs. But, once it was all the way up, it was the same color as all his other teeth. It just looked different as it was coming in. The others are the same way.

If they're all the way in and still looking that way, the only thing I can think of is that I read an article somewhere about too much flouride causing tooth problems. It seems like turning gray was one of the problems or symptoms, but I can't be completely sure, so I could be wrong. I think the dentist is a good idea, so you can correct any problems that may be there.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• It could be a vitamin deficiency, too much fluoride, or even too little fluoride! Yes, go to the dentist.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 30, 2009