My son is afraid of things that make loud noise, Vacumm, Blender, etc. Any suggestions

mama32177

Asked by mama32177 at 6:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't be worried about a disorder at this point, because I've seen this in a lot of kids and my own. What I do is teach my daughter to make the same noise as the vacuum or blender. When I pull out the blender and the sight of it scares her, I ask her what sound it makes. We both sit there and growl at it for awhile. This makes her laugh (sometimes nervously). Then when I'm ready to use it, I hold her in my arms, tell her to help me push the button, and we push it and then walk away from it, so she can still see what it's doing but so the noise doesn't hurt her ears. We start by doing it for a short time, and then turning it off to see what it has done (look at this pureed broccoli!). It has taken awhile, but now she's fine with it. With the vacuum, it was similar... having her help vacuum has made it better. She still doesn't like the sound, but she growls at it to show she's not afraid
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:51 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• How old is your son? Sometimes when their real young theres not much you can do to help them not be afraid, but if he is old enough to walk, try buying him a toy Vacumm and blender and let him play with them and show him that the noise they make are okay and even cool! wish you the best of luck.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• How does he react to tags in his clothes? Does he have a problem touching different textures? Walk with his hands in fists? Does he have a problem with bright lights? Food textures?

My son has SPD (sensory processing disorder) and he goes running when he hears a vacuum, blender, mixer, public or just plain loud flushing toilets send him into a meltdown.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• both my dd's were scared of those things until recently, I think sometimes its just a phase they go through. Give it time and he should get over it. I would have my girls leave the room whenever I had to use one of those and to vaccum I had to take them to my moms for awhile. But they are both over it now. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My son has been VERY sensitive to noise since he was born. He would cry and scream when we vaccum and use the blender or run to us when he heard a loud noise -we just slowly started holding him and snuggling him while we vaccum so he is feeling secure in my arms while I am running it, same with the blender - it took him til recently but now he even wants to use the dust buster -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• On a related note - put a pack of post-it notes in your diaper bag. If you have to use a public restroom with an auto-flush toilet, put one of the notes over the sensor before you (or he) sit down. That will keep it from flushing too soon, especially if HE is still sitting on it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• kaycee - what a wonderful idea!!! I hate when those things go off to early! I will have to remember this when we use one of those together! Especially when potty training!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my two nieces are like that and its nothing to be worried about,i was likke it but grew out of it whenm I was 4
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2009