Am I doing this the right way?

We are 5 weeks pregnant with an unplanned baby. We are trying to cope with this surprise as best we can. We already have a little 2.5 year old boy, so we have already started asking him things like "Do you like babies?" "Would you like Mommy to have another baby?" "Are you going to be a big brother?" He just responds by smiling and saying, "Want baby sister."

Is this the right way to begin introducing him to my pregnancy?

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 8:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would not ask him if he wants a baby brother/sister at this point it is not a choice the baby is coming so if he says no then it's like too bad kid because you're getting one anyway.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I would wait till your atleast showing so he can associate the big belly with a baby. I think it's too early to tell him. Plus, he will probably tell everyone! lol
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:59 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I wouldn't ask. I'd maybe wait until you're about 12 weeks (past the "danger zone"...you know) and tell him he's going to be a big brother. Honestly, he doesn't have a clue if he wants to have a baby around...brother or sister. He doesn't have a clue what it means.

Start making changes NOW that you might need to make...getting rid of bottle, pacifier, put in a regular bed, potty training...anything you would probably do shortly after the baby arrives. Do it now so it's not associated with the baby causing jealousy (potentially).

When the baby arrives, work the baby into HIS routine as best you can. You're going to have to tell him that he has to wait because the baby needs you. Make sure you "tell the baby" that it has to wait because "toddler" needs you...doesn't matter if the baby is awake or asleep...the toddler needs to hear that he comes first before the baby once in awhile too. (worked well for us, anyway)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• My oldest two are 22 months apart. It will probably be a little different for you because there is a larger age difference. My oldest and youngest are 33 months apart. I still did the above stuff with the older TWO when the youngest arrived. It worked well with the almost three year old. The 11 month old didn't care one bit! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I agree don't ask a question that gives your son a choice. you're having a baby and he can't choose the sex.
    they say the last thing your child learns before the new baby arrives he forgets, so if it's potty training, he may regress some.
    Involve him in the baby naming, let him buy something special, make sure the baby has something special for their big brother.
    My son wouldn't help me with his sister, if i asked him to hand me the burp cloth that was at his feet, he would throw it the other way - just because he could. he loves his sister and is a good big brother, expect some jealousy.

chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 10:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009