Hubby a few months back went to a boat show and he filled out a thing to win a car and Friday there was a 1-800 number that called us we usually don't answer those ones, but hubby decided too

they told him that when he done that they pulled out his name for a cruise for 2 to the bahamas. My girls I am a stay at home mom so hardly get a sitter, but when I do they are ok with it just once I come back I can't leave the rest of the day my 15 month old wont let me lol. It probably wont be until summer so my dd's will be 4 years and I don't know my youngest is 15 months now. My mom said I shouldn't go because she said when we were little she never left us that long (which is 3 days and nights) she said she wouldn't been able to have a good time. The thing is hubby and I need that (long story) but now that my mom said that I feel bad to find a sitter that long. What do you think? Do you think it is 2 young to leave them for that long? This is like a once in a lifetime thing I would be able to afford it other wise. They are paying for the tickets and food all we pay is taxes which is like 200.oo

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Travel

• GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and when they are a bit older (over 2) bring them!! They have GREAT kids programs!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Don't feel guilty; go and enjoy. Find a good sitter that you really trust, and prep your girls. Start talking to them beforehand, let them know you will be gone a few days and nights, but you will be back. And try leaving them for a few hours here and there and coming back, and consider leaving again the same day, so they can get used to it. It's not like you're leaving your girls to go party with a new boyfriend every night or something, you are going on a short cruise with your hubby. It will make your marriage even better, which will help you be better parents to your girls. And as you say, you won't be able to afford it otherwise, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, and frankly, I think your mom is kind of being a jerk to make you feel guilty about it and try to ruin it for you. Yes, you'll miss your girls and worry, but you'll still have some fun. Enjoy!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I do not think 3 days and 3 nights is really that long. What about leaving them with a family member such as your mom? If you feel you and your DH really need the time together than you should go. To raise happy healthy children you have to make sure that your marriage is healthy as well. Of course your children will miss you thats normal but they will adjust. My feelings on leaving children overnight has always been not before a year.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 9:09 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I say do it as long as you find them you can trust completley to acre for them. Just be ready to do a time share meeting thats what your trip sounds like it will be part of.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• my mom always makes me feel like I am not doing a good enough job as aparent because everything I do my mom says something about. If they are misbehaving at my moms I don't spank right away I give them 2 warnings the third I may spank depending on what they are doing. And everytime my mom is like you need to spank them for that you need to spank them for that, but I don't want to spank my kids for wvery little thing they do because my mom always more than spanked me for things and she would do it in front of people and friends and it is imbarassing so I don't want to spank my kids in front of anyone.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If you can get a sitter other than your spank-happy mom, I would go! Unless you can be assured that she will not spank your kids, she's not going to do them or you any good. In your case, the only reason not to relax is the fear that your mother is spanking the kids at every opportunity. I'd tell her so! My parents are NOT allowed to spank them. IMHO that is a parents job only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• GO!!!!! I went/had to go on a business trip w/hubby in October, MIL stayed with the kids , 4 1/2 and 11 months. I missed my kids, they didn't once ask about me. And we needed to be away, it was really good for our marriage.
    We've won trips and taken them and they were wonderful. Enjoy!!
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 10:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• thanks anon 9:54 but I wouldn't have to worry about my mom for she wont watch them anyway not only to go on this trip but for anything else. I only ask for a sitter once baby 3 times a year and she thinks it is wrong of me to ever have a sitter so I wouldn't have to worry about her spanking my kids because she wont watch them
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009