How do I get rid of fleas without using poison?

Asked by TINKFAIRYGIRL at 11:56 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pets

• If they are in your carpets I have used Boraxo powder. Sprinkle in carpet, let it sit for a while. Don't let bare feet or paws on it, It may sting. then vacume up. If they are on pets wash with dawn dish detergent make sure you rinse really well. I hope this helps.

Answer by periwinkleblue at 12:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Fleas don't like garlic. You can buy all natural garlic sprays to bomb your home or even treat your yard.

Indoors, vacuuming is your best friend. Flea eggs hatch every two weeks in proper temperatures. They're vicious lil things and its really hard to clear up an infestation once you get one.

Most shampoos will kill fleas on your pet. There are also oral treatments for fleas rather than topical ones. My dog is on a pill called program. It stops the lifecycle on your pet, but eggs can still hatch and live adult fleas can still attach themselves to your pet or even your family.

I'd do a search on the internet. There are a lot of all natural resources available. :-)

Answer by Britevylet at 12:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I use eucalyptus. They don't like the smell. I have the plants sitting around and vacuum often.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Treat your animals with flea medications, such as Advantage or revolution. Every month the fleas in your home will start to die off as they make contact with your animal.  that's the best way. Powders for the carpet and bombs are okay put you would have to remove animals and children. Good Luck

Answer by T.W. at 2:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Dont foget to EMPTY the vaccume bag when you treat because they breed IN the bag and will keep reinfecting your home

Answer by vbruno at 5:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• The only way to get rid of fleas for good is to use Advantage for four months straight. It will kill any fleas that are on your dog and that is where they will go. The reason you have to treat for four months is while they are in the house they lay eggs. Once they hatch they jump on the dog. After four months they are all hatched and killed from the Advantage. :) GOOD LUCK!

Answer by Maddie0106 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I have used diatomaceous earth in the past, it is chemical free. You'll need to use a spreader for it in your yard and if you spinkle it in your house I would do it and leave it down over the weekend then vacuum it up without kids having been on it. Use a mask as well. It is what we get our oil from, diatoms. You can get it at a hardware store.

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Fleas are terrible! I have had several years of trouble with fleas! Even if you bomb your place with the flea bomb...there is still a chance that some can survive! One thing I haven't tried yet cause this year we are lucky no to put salt in areas where they are...a friend of mine says that I hope it helps you! Good luck!

Answer by businesswife1 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• um.. where did my answer go

Answer by sensei.izumi at 5:44 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

•  how you treat depends entirely on what you are treating. if you are worried about fleas inside your home, and you have carpet, there are several easy things to try. buy the sticky glue traps, or place a shallow dish of cooking oil or dawn dish detergent beneath a nightlight plugged into an outlet at night. the fleas are attracted to the light, will jump in and become trapped. you can spread boric acid or borax on the carpet and then vacuum it up, but that kind of counts as a chemical. you can spread a thin layer of salt on your carpets, leave overnight, and vacuum in the morning - the salt is supposed to make the fleas come to the top of the carpet, then the vacuum sucks them up [be sure to empty the vacuum or you will get reinfested].

Answer by sensei.izumi at 6:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008