Hubby won a trip (cruise) to the bahamas what do you take?

We will be going this summer, I have never went on a cruise. Achually I never went with hubby anywhere like that. They are paying for the plan tickets then the ship tickets then they are paying all you can eat food. All hubby and I have to pay for is the taxes which is like 200.00 then they of course don't pay for alcohol. So we will be taking a lot of money with us to bring things back. But what would I have to waear? Do you have to dress up on a cruise? What else should or would I have to take with us on a cruise?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Travel

• Congratulations!!!!! I won a Bahama cruise last Halloween from BudLight!!! What port are you out of? What ship will you be on? What is your itinary? Do you have a cabin number yet?
    No formal nights on short cruises. You can smuggle a bit of booze if you need to. Drinks are expensive. best to get the drink of the day and NOT in the souviner cup. Dress resort casual. and comfy walking shoes for port, bathing suit and cover-up. you may not be able to get to your cabin as soon as you embark.. Everybody must go through Muster(safety drill) before sailing. If you are checking a bag it must be outside your room the night before disembarking. You have to go through customs and need a passport. A light jacket it good for the decks at night. They are windy! Or the dinning room could be cool. You can order ANYTHING on the menus and room service for the price of a tip. The photos they take on the ship are expensive.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:27 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Look up the cruise ship online. Find out what kind of people go on the cruise. Really-- everyones to thereself on the cruise unless you want to make friends, or your hubbys co-workers happen to be there as well. Check the local weather for the bahamas. Chances are its going to be nice the whole time, even on the way to and from. Might get a little chilly at night-- you're on the water. Take a couple nice outfits incase your hubby wants to take you to a nice resturant. SUNBLOCK IS A MUST ON A CRUISE. Sun reflecting off water onto you is NOT good-- u will go home looking like a LOBSTER! :). I hope you have a great time!
    Mrsdenick28

Answer by Mrsdenick28 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• PM me for more info and you can check out www.cruisecritic.com
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:28 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• oh wow CHEFJEN lol
    I am from Ohio (Akron), but I have no idea what part of the bahamas I am going to yet, I don't know what ship I will be on yet, I don't know what my itinary is, and I don't know what cabin number I am yet lol. I don't know anything yet. We don't pick up are tickets until tomorrow. So I don't even know when we are going yet. Ya the booze thing because I have no kids and I dont ever drink but maybe once a year I plan on doing just that lol. They don't pay for the alcohol we have to pay for it, but I already told hubby to plan on some alcohol for I don't do it very often lol. Thanks for every thing. The food is free to us as well they said we can eat 24 hours if we wanted and it is free lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• thanks for the website
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I won a cruise to the Bahama's for my honeymoon 7 years ago, we actually just booked the same cruise for a second honeymoon and we're leaving May 1st! So excited!!!
    I would suggest casual clothing for most of the cruise, at dinner in the dining hall everyone seems to dress up a little more...and there's one night where there's a 'captains dinner' all the men dress up in shirt/tie and the ladies are all pretty much in evening dresses. On the cruise ships there's lots of entertainment in the evening (different types of 'clubs' like country, jazz, dance, etc) so I would pack for that too.
    SUN SCREEN will be your best friend, at the top deck it's mostly exposed to the sun...I started tanning last week to prepare for May, just so I don't burn!
    Have a great time!!!
    jd705

Answer by jd705 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Keep in mind you have to pay gratuity (tips) to your steward, waiter, etc at the end of the stay, so budget that in. See if they will have theme nights and perhaps bring a nice dress or two.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:38 PM on Mar. 30, 2009