Has anyone ever experienced coughing and gagging of mucus after drinking milk or having ice cream?

I recently have been experiencing excess coughing and mucus coming up gagging me almost in a form of vomiting with runny nose after having milk and ice cream. The reaction is almost immediate .

miss372

Asked by miss372 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Could you some how actually be allergic? I know that when you have a sore throat bad you shouldn't drink milk, it sits on the throat or tonsils and its hard to clear along with the sick mucus that accumulates during a throat, resp. illnesses. Maybe the milk your drinking for some reason has too much fat in it? Try no fat milk or soy milk. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Hi! :0)
    Could it maybe be reflux? Sorry that's the only thing I can think of besides a possible allergy. If it persists you should probably go see your doctor...
    Hope you are feeling better soon ~ HUGS
    peasntatersmom

Answer by peasntatersmom at 10:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• YOUR BODY IS TALKING TO YOU, LISTEN WELL, IT COULD BE YOU HAVE CREATED AN ALLERGIC REACTION TO MILK, EVEN THOUGH YOU NEVER HAD ONE BEFORE, THEY CAN SNEAK IN ON YOU UNEXPECTEDLY.

Answer by older at 5:00 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• That's exactly how my brother reacts to almost all dairy. He's really allergic to it. He can tolerate small (1oz or less) amounts of cheese and yogurt because of the cultures, but no milk, ice cream, pudding, sour cream... He has to be careful of foods with dairy in them, too, like cereals with yogurt coatings, hot dogs (many contain dried milk powder or whey), and other odd things.

Hope you figure it out soon! Allergies can happen at any time, and can go away, too.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 9:22 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Dairy cause a build up of mucus if you are having drainage issues, thats what it sounds like to me.
    mom2boyz

Answer by mom2boyz at 11:17 PM on Mar. 30, 2009