Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toxic food question

After making pistacchio zucchini bread last night, I gave my dog just a tiny bite to taste. In the night I awoke various times and heard her making funny noises that I never noticed her making before, and once breathing heavy. It WAS raining and she's a scairdy cat with storms, but I wondered all night if I had inadvertantly poisoned my dog by giving her something with pistacchios! Are they one of the toxic foods for animals? (German Shepherd)

Answer Question
 
PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 9:25 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Pets

Level 3 (26 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Talk to your vet. They can give you a list of toxic foods. Or google it is you don't want to talk to the vet. Is the dog okay this morning?
    Madge1428

    Answer by Madge1428 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • She's perfectly fine. Just my active motherly fears working overtime!
    PSMother

    Answer by PSMother at 9:31 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I did find this.. so be careful with the Pistachios
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ask-Veterinarian-700/lab-ate-handful-pistachio.htm

    I would get him to your vet ASAP. If there is an emergency vet in your area, I would get him there now, if possible...for two reasons:
    #1 Pistachios can be highly toxic to dogs.
    ---they have been known to cause symptoms as mild as diarrhea/vomitting, to severe as seizuring and hind end paralysis. Your veterinarian will want to do some bloodwork to comfirm whether or not a toxicity is present. If there is, activated charcoal will be given orally, to absorb any toxins in the blood stream and IV fluids will be given for 24-48 hours to flush the system out.
    blujeanlady62

    Answer by blujeanlady62 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Wow! Thanks. But there probably wasn't even a whole pistacchio in the teeny bite I gave her, and it has been nearly 24 hrs. and she is acting normal. I will watch her just to be on the safe side, but I don't think I need to take any drastic measures at this time. I will know better next time! And I will be sure to look up the list of "fatal foods for pets".
    PSMother

    Answer by PSMother at 5:14 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html


    Most nuts are NOT safe for dogs - don't worry - It would take many nuts to cause toxicity. The liver has a hard time with nuts.
    Just give a bunch of water and no more nuts...
    BEST wishes

    Marie Peppers of Ask the Pet Nurse
    FREE site for pet owners...
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Alternative-Medicine-Pets-3721/

    nuvetmarie

    Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:43 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN