Does he have a cold or is it allergies?

My son started getting a super watery runny nose Friday afternoon. Later that day he came up to me with red swollen eyes. I asked him if they burned or hurt at all and he said no. I gave him some Benadryl to get through the night and it seemed to help.

Today he still has the same runny nose but he's coughing. I'm not sure whether to keep him comfortable with allergy meds or cough meds? They seem to do almost the same thing...

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I gave my oldest a children's Claratin. (only when his eyes look red or he's rubbing his eyes a LOT) and it cleared him up. If it's just a cold, it didn't help him much at all.

Benedryl makes my guys so sleepy it helps with just about anything! lol The claratin doesn't make him drowsy though and if it's a cold, doesn't really do much.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I lot of allergy meds and cough meds are very similar... I went to get allergy meds for myself last week and there was a package of benedryl allergy pills and benedryl cold pills and they were exactly the same! The coughing might be because of the allergies, so I would stay with the allergy meds for now, but if he gets thick colored snot or started coughing up mucus or saying he has cold symptoms, then I would start on the cold meds and take him to the dr.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• I have bad seasonal spring allergies (yellow pollen Grrrrrr!). I get sneezing, itchy watery runny eyes, the dang throat tickle and yes sometimes a cough. From post nasal drip. Ask him if his throat tickles? That's a good sign it's allergies and not a cold.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• If the runny nose is clear, it's allergies. Green = cold. Yellow = sinus infection.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• sounds like allergies to me. My son deals with the same things this time of year. OTC Zyrtec and Benadryl help when he is really uncomfortable, but also the Flonase works very well for the irritated sinuses.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009