Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do grandparents have rights 2 the child when the biological father is dead?


Asked by starrie136 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • My sister's mother in law kidnapped her two children for almost three weeks while in the process of taking them to court for custody. I think grandparent rights are bullshit, if I ever decided my children shouldn't see a grandparent I would have a damn good reason for it but it should be MY decision! Just felt the need to put in my two cents, even if it doesn't really have to do with the question. In Texas, yes, apparently even psycho kidnapping grandparents have rights...

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

  • I think it depends on the state. In MI, there are no grandparents rights unless: you're unfit parents, there's a messy divorce & they can create stability, parents are in jail...things along those lines. Check your state's laws.

    Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • I am not completely 100% sure, but I think so. Not sure to what extent though either. I woulf Google it.

    Answer by AK_aries at 9:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • They can go to court ,and get grandparents rights,but if they are good people,and their son is dead,you should volunteer to let them see him/her.I don't know the situation,but unless they are abusive,or for some reason should not be seeing the child,it would be selfish of you to keep their grandchild from them.Your child will resent you for it later. good luck

    Answer by Val504 at 9:39 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • No being a G-parent is a privledge not a right.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • It TOTALLY depends on the state. I know here in GA it is very hard for the grandparents to have ANY kinds of rights. It is costly, & will take a lot of court dates to accomplish. But i knoe in Tenn. grandparents have a lot more rights. So, check it out. I'm sure you can find all that info online.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 9:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • Depends on if the bio mom is passed as well. Most states will consider the g-parents as possible custodial parents especially if it is in a will that this should happen. If the bio mom is still alive, or there is nothing in the will about it, then the g-parents would have to file a petition for custody.

    Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • In va grandparents,can file for visitations.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • They can file for visitation rights in any state. That doesn't mean they are going to get them...but they can file for them.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:12 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

  • in some custody agreements it's spelled out that in case of the passing of one parent the child shall have reasonable visitation with the deceseds parents family. If they did not have an agreement I would check with the family court

    Answer by 2boys1girl04 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2009