Does anybody know if there is a law that states if you are over charged at a grocery store for something...

they must reimburse you 10x the amount of the overcharge? Does anyone know about this?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:38 AM on Mar. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If an automatic checkout system charges you more than the marked price of an item, and:
    1) the transaction has been completed; and
    2) you have a receipt indicating the item purchased and the price charged for it;
    Then:
    You must notify the seller that you were overcharged, within 30 days of the transaction, either in person or in writing. Within
    2 days of receiving your notice, the seller may choose to refund to you the difference between the amount charged and the price
    marked, plus a “bonus” of 10 times the difference, with a minimum of $1 and a maximum of $5. If the seller refuses to give
    you both the refund and the bonus, you may bring a lawsuit to recover your actual damages or $250, whichever is greater, plus
    reasonable attorney fees up to $300.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 30, 2009

• what?? no I am almost positive that is not a law. That might be the grocery stores policy, but I highly doubt anyone would offer 10x the amount.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• ummm, NO
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• sounds like you are trying to make a quick buck,I would just let them know show them my receipt,and let them give my money back,end of story.They make mistakes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Yeah, sorry, but don't think so. There may be a store that has that policy, but I highly doubt that. Pricing errors are made all the time. If you bring it to their attention, they should at least give you the difference, but I don't think even that is a law.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:47 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• The only policy that I have heard of is that some of the stores around here will give you 2 of the item for free if it rings up at a higher price. BUT that policy is different from store to store. Just call the store and let them know what happened. 10x the amount doesn't sound right for any store, and there's no law about that anyways.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:54 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Didn't you ladies ever hear of "consumer bounties"? Check if your state does this at
    www.ftc.gov/reports/scanner1/scanners.shtm

Michigan has adopted a law requiring retailers to pay consumers who are overcharged 10 times the difference in price, with a minimum recovery of $1 and a maximum of $5.

And no, I'm not trying to make a quick buck. But, I'm saying why is it okay to be overcharged? With the economy as it is, I don't need to be overcharged for anything!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Mistakes happen; deal with it. I'm sure that if they undercharged you and asked for 10x the amout back you'd be pitching a fit. Why can't people just want what they get? Why are they always looking to get something for nothing?
    Mel.Ann.Choly

Answer by Mel.Ann.Choly at 10:00 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• i doubt that's a law but most honest chains will refund you the difference if you bring it to their attention.I mean if it's a fair amount I would go there and say listen you over charged me by 5 and some change. I would n't bother with a slight amount. Mistakes happen.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 30, 2009

• Not Law...
    It is up to the company/store to set there own policies in regards to that.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 10:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2009